• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.4c M0 stepping memory selection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thegamer36

Registered
What do you all recommend for memory with a 2.4c processor and an Abit AI7 motherboard? I have been doing lots of reading and have the following thoughts I need help with. Of course you would like to run your system with 1:1 with low latency memory. Which memory overclocks the highest with the 2.4c with lowest latency? Is it better to run your system with 5:4 or 3:2 timings with a higher overclock speed or 1:1 with a lower overclock speed?

Thanks for the help in advance.

:) :) :) :)

Since you've gone for a 2.4 and specifically state that it is an M0 I presume that you are aiming for a very high FSB.

The consensus on this forum is that BH5 based modules ( see sticky) are the best choice for 5:4 and a high FSB, if you can increase the vdimm sufficiently(over 3V might be needed), they can get you all the way at 5:4 whilst preserving 2-2-2 timings.

For 1:1, most PC4000 reach about 260, then there's OCZ4200EL which might stay with you until 280, and some ADATA PC4000 have reportedly gone over 300 with very high vdimm (3.2V or something like that).

I've not read up about AI7 so someone else will need to clarify what vdimm you have available, if you don't already know that.

1:1 sounds cool, but 5:4 and tighter timings perform about the same. Or even better for some purposes.
In any case the difference it not large (single digit percentage points either way depending on what application you are using).

You should not limit your o/c just to keep memory in sync.
Higher CPU speed brings more power, and timings are also important. So I'd go with the 5:4 option and chose a memory that can do 2-2-2.

There is no clear evidence that any particular brand of BH5 memory perform better than the rest. The difference between individual sticks seems to be larger than the difference between the brands. Though Corsair, Mushkin and OCZ have good support which might be worth paying for.

Good luck!

So Mushkin PC3500 Level II is a good chocie?

What kind of settings will I use with this memory on the AI7?

Thanks again.

Since both Batboy and larva have stated that the AI7 has good vdimm, I'll assume that is correct.
Then you are in you are in luck and should be able to take this to the max.

BH5 is popular because it can do the tightest possible timings=2-2-2-6. And can be overclocked whilst keeping those timings if you increase the vdimm.

The FSB:memory ratio would need to be set to 5:4 for a high FSB.
But you could start with 3:2 to find out how much your CPU is capable of. Check for stability with e.g. prime, it is not sufficent that the system will boot.

When you have established how far your CPU will go, you can set the memory ratio to 5:4 and start working you way up from 250 towards your CPU limit, you can use steps of about 5.
Run memtest86 at each step to verify that you are not near the limit. If you take to big steps your system may lock up and a require a CMOS reset. But if it is memtest clean at one level it will most likely boot at 5 FSB higher.

When you start getting memtest errors you increase the vdimm 0,05V at a time until the errors disappear. Make notes of every change you make and the result.

I will not state a safe limit for vdimm, since I've not sufficient experince to claim that with any certainty. And it will void your warranty if you go above the limit recommended by the manufacturer. But if you search on this forum I am sure you will find some relevant recommendations.

Good Luck!

Back