• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4x256 Better Than 2x512?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Onizuka

Was reading about memory at AnandTech and they say:

"If you plan to run DDR400 as your base memory speed with an 800FSB processor, your best memory performance will clearly be with four matched double-sided DIMMs."

Im getting an AI7 and a 2.6c but I'm not going to overclock. That means the 4x256 will be better then the 2x512 right? Sorry if Im answering my own question, but I just wanting to make sure before I order. BTW, HyperX 3200 is double sided correct?

Thanks!

EDIT: Here Is The Article I Was Reading:

AnandTech Article

There seems to be some debate over this issue. I've seen conflicting data both pro and con. You need to make sure all 4 sticks are perfectly matched. One bum chip on one stick will drag your O/C down.

Well I'd order 2 twinpacks of the 2x256 HyperX 3200K2 (2-2-2-6).
I dont really plan on overclocking new system anyways....
Anyone else got an opinion?

onizuka the P4 s.6C is acually a very good computer to clock at stock you can easily clock it to 3.0 ghz at stock and be around 40 degrees load depending on ur ambient temp.

but hey a few mhz is always a little help plus it's safely done since you won't need extra cooling.

If your not going to overclock then yes 4 sticks are better than 2.

Steve

edit

Here is a benchmark with 4x256MB sticks. Maybe someone can post a 2x512 comparo with the same timings in a p4p800 since I don't have any

250_4x256.jpg

250_4x256cpuz.jpg

Last edited:
i think that the sandra memory bench does not increase with more memory over say 256meg (because the data sets are not very large), so you can probably just take two of your sticks out and test that way and get a good comparason.

anyone have any data to support this?

Onizuka said:
Was reading about memory at AnandTech and they say:

"If you plan to run DDR400 as your base memory speed with an 800FSB processor, your best memory performance will clearly be with four matched double-sided DIMMs."

Im getting an AI7 and a 2.6c but I'm not going to overclock. That means the 4x256 will be better then the 2x512 right?
No. 256's are not typically double sided. Four 256's is equal performance-wise to two 512's, as the 512's are double sided. Four 512's would be the situation your quote describes, not 4 256's. Running four double-sided dimms is bound to cut the overclock as you can see the difference in oc between two singles and two doubles.

Running two 512s is the smart play here, as running 4 256's won't help performance but does fill up all your slots. The fact that the 512s are double sided helps (to a minor degree), and the impediment it poses to the oc can be overcome with the AI7's marvelous vdimm capability.

Back