• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wow thats nice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Freezermug

Just recieved my Swiftech MCX159 chipset cooler from sidewinder.
This heatsink is sooo heavy hehe. Im gonna have to use something on that back of the motherboard to hold the hooks in for sure. This is one nice heatsink. The copper base is sooo thick. Seems alot thicker in person then in the photo. Im not going to use the fan on this bad boy. No reason to at all, its one crazy heatsink. The base has 0 machine marks or ridges. It looks like its been lapped. Honestly its that smooth. Its quality far surpasses anything ive ever seen on a northbridge heatsink. You take it out of the package and your jaw just drops.

hehe sweet.

now I just need a cpu that doesnt stink ;)

Freezermug said:
Just recieved my Swiftech MCX159 chipset cooler from sidewinder.
This heatsink is sooo heavy hehe. Im gonna have to use something on that back of the motherboard to hold the hooks in for sure. This is one nice heatsink. The copper base is sooo thick. Seems alot thicker in person then in the photo. Im not going to use the fan on this bad boy. No reason to at all, its one crazy heatsink. The base has 0 machine marks or ridges. It looks like its been lapped. Honestly its that smooth. Its quality far surpasses anything ive ever seen on a northbridge heatsink. You take it out of the package and your jaw just drops.

hehe sweet.

now I just need a cpu that doesnt stink ;)

I suggest you use the fan, the fan swiftech provides is inaudible, and even if you have excellent airflow in your case the fan should be used since the pins are so dense. I tried it without the fan and the heatsink gets a bit toasty without it.

PS Swiftech has a diamand lapping machine that you cannot replicate the flatness by hand lapping.

I slapped on the JMC 10,500rpm counter rotating fan on the Stock MCX159-p, and luckily I can run this beast at 6000rpm which is quiet, at 10,500rpm it's insanely loud :eek:

JMC.jpg

ya that is one hell of a sink I am thinking about getting one for the window mod coolness factor :cool:

And a Dimond lapping process, insane I have bought a swiftech waterblock in the past and it was quality even back then.

Also does the pads work on the NB of the i865 or i875 chipsets the reason I ask is that the chips are sideways and maybe the pads don't touch?

Mr. $T$ said:

Also does the pads work on the NB of the i865 or i875 chipsets the reason I ask is that the chips are sideways and maybe the pads don't touch?

Yes they come with the round pads for 865 and 875 boards. (Yes they work);)

Here's mine with the crazy 10,500rpm counter rotating JMC fan (The stock fan swiftech sends does a good job as well)

Interesting my digital camera can take a pic of the fan at full rpm and it appears the fans blades are static. Must have a good shutter speed

Picture_009.jpg

Re: Re: Wow thats nice

Silversinksam said:

I suggest you use the fan, the fan swiftech provides is inaudible, and even if you have excellent airflow in your case the fan should be used since the pins are so dense. I tried it without the fan and the heatsink gets a bit toasty without it.

PS Swiftech has a diamand lapping machine that you cannot replicate the flatness by hand lapping.

I slapped on the JMC 10,500rpm counter rotating fan on the Stock MCX159-p, and luckily I can run this beast at 6000rpm which is quiet, at 10,500rpm it's insanely loud :eek:

JMC.jpg

Alright. Im going to pull everything apart tomorrow morning so I will be able to see for myself how loud it is. It says its a vapo bearing fan so your right its likely not even audible.

Did you ever get a temperature comparison between the stock fan and the JMC? I'd be interested in finding out. :)

johan851 said:
Did you ever get a temperature comparison between the stock fan and the JMC? I'd be interested in finding out. :)

Yes but I cant tell you until Mr B is done on his end, there was a shipping hold up and it will be done soon. Mr B has the really powerful JMC version, mine is the tepid version.

But I'll tell you the Swiftech mcx159 is a fine heatsink even with the stock fan :rolleyes:

Does your nb really NEED that much cooling power (vantec icebergs will cool a nb just fine)? Those things are the price of GOOD cpu heatsink.

It probably doesn't need it, but every little bit counts. It's a nice quiet solution that performs well enough to be used on boards for the next couple years or so.

nodark said:
Does your nb really NEED that much cooling power (vantec icebergs will cool a nb just fine)? Those things are the price of GOOD cpu heatsink.

An Intel or AMD heatsinks also work fine, but when you want more you need to ask yourself if you want to buy the best, while the best isn't always cheap, you get what you pay for with the Mcx159 series ;)

Back