• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about Smart Fan 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toxik co2

Does this fan draw too much power to plug it into the motherboard or is it better to have it plugged into a 4pin molex?

where is the power coming in from>? try not to have too much coming in from the hard drive to the fans you dont wanna blow out anything. and i think molexes are beter to have.

Ya dont use the header you might blow it, use the molex or a good fan controller.

hehe,my mobo died,after using an enermax 92 mm without 4 pin molex(i should have known,that there was a reason,they sell it with converter...)

You just need to know what amperage your mobo headers can supply, and how man amps the fan will pull at full tilt.

If you can't find the fan header ratings, an email to Abit's tech support should do the trick. I couldn't find the ratings through a quick search.

Most fans used in computers are intended to run on 12VDC. The fan label will typically specify the design voltage as well as design amperage and/or watts. For heat sink fans, the design amperage or wattage can be an important factor. The highest power fans presently available often draw more current than motherboard fan headers are intended to supply. This has resulted in many people blowing their fan headers.

It is simple to relate fan voltage, amperage, and wattage. For DC devices, power (watts) equals volts multiplied by amps. If a fan label indicates an amperage of 0.48A, it will draw 12 * 0.48 = 5.76 watts at design speed.

Fan labels from an 80 mm and 60 mm fan. The 80 mm fan normally runs on 12 volts DC and draws 0.13 amps. This is 12 * 0.13 = 1.56 watts. The 60 mm fan normally runs on 12 volts DC and uses 2.8 watts. This is 2.8/12 = 0.233 amps.

Key Point: You must verify the rating of your motherboard before plugging in a powerful fan.

http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=132&PageID=3

Last edited:
Back