• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD OEM heatsink of the week

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
Anyone know whats the deal with the Heatsink of the Week AMD like to ship with thier CPU's?

Every time i look at one, its completly different.
So i ask again, does anyone know the REASON AMD DOES THIS?

Who knows.

Last one I got in a retail package was an Aluminum one with a big, fat, gritty and splintery Copper Lug *screwed* to the bottom. Between the Copper Lug, and the Aluminum Heatsink there was some sparse PCM with little flecks of metal in it.

I tried lapping the thing, and it actually splintered all over the place, and was unfinishable.

I threw it out.

I think that perhaps they just throw stuff together, and have an "employee heatsink competition" every week to see which AMD employee can design the most barely acceptable-at-stock-speed heatsink for the week - they try and push the level of quality as low as possible without actually making something that could damage a stock processor.

Maybe "FoxConn" has above mentioned "employee heatsink competition" of the week.

I find it quite hilarious that a company actually exists, and makes money at, producing those heatsiks that AMD uses. Heck - I could probably design more cost-effective heatsinks of higher quality.

All you would need is some low-grade Metal stock salvaged from crushed cars, a few high-powered hand drills, the Dies and whatnot, and a mechanical assembly line. You wouldn't need a quality control department.

are you sure AMD and Intel's heatsinks are made at the same place?

Intel Sinks only get bigger, but look the SAME.

My week 34 (i think 34) BARTON had thin fins, copper base and a heatsink the size of the fan.

This new Barton (week 44) has a slightly larger heatsink, wider fins (less of them) and the screw on base....
Base looks Nickle or Al.
oh and this is printed on the side
line 1:
FXN NBT-K0010AW1DBWCB-001
line 2:
2003 10 09

line 2 is a gimmy... now lets see if i can find some specs for this paper weight

Go AMD!!!!

now how can i enter the sub par heatsink of the week?
I am gona solder some pennys together and hope for the best

where I work I build AMD computers all the time, And I see all kinds of strange looking sinks some look to be of high quality some look like they went to a middle school metal shop :eek:

The better quality ones look like This one others match the copper slug screwed into the Aluminum base, I have also seen aluminum slug screwed just like the copper one.

thanks, thats what i thought too.
Gona give the week 44 my sink then, looks like the one you linked to above with a copper base though.

Computer for a friend, and she doesnt plan on overclocking, i know sounds scarry doesnt it

takeout.jpg

This is my stock Heatsink and its great. If i lapped it it would be kick a**.

jAY said:
thanks, thats what i thought too.
Gona give the week 44 my sink then, looks like the one you linked to above with a copper base though.

Computer for a friend, and she doesnt plan on overclocking, i know sounds scarry doesnt it

I've seen copper based ones on the higher end chips like 3000+ and the crappy screw one on the 2500+, lately they have also been getting skimpy on the phase changing materal there use to be almost a solid square inch on the bottom of the older sinks like the pally 1600+ days and lately there is just enough to cover the wideness of the barton core. :rolleyes: Would you as a system builder pay like $7 more for a better stock heatsink on the processors that you put in other peoples machines? Also to mention the fans suck also! however this is not seen till after a few months/year, I have had many machines come back after a year with noisy fan problems that were the stock fans going out.

edit: ooo Freezer pops mmm

well all week 44 2500+ bartons the store had (5) were the crappy heatsink....
as for skimpy on the phase change material, i like that. less buble gum to scrap off. I only build computers (well now anyways) for Friends and Family. So they Always get the latest thermal Paste I have... But i see you $7 point.

Anyways just did the AS5 think with the same sink as the frezzer shot... i'll let her know about the Fan....
What would you say is the average falure rate after 1 year?

My stock heatsink looks just like the copper one showed above, but it was coated in something(most likely nickel, it was hard). I lapped it and it looks like that again. Also, my friends both got sinks just like mine with their 2000+ pallys, havnt gotten to check if theres any copper in it yet.

I have gotten quite a few back but I don't keep track. Most of these were from very dusty cases, however AMD should keep in mind that these computers will sit in a corner there entire life and never be cleaned. Take Intel which I never had a fan fail from a stock heatsink, not saying there perfict but they do a good job picking the right fan manufacture and they better for there processors being so expensive compaired to AMD. I just hope AMD gets there act together on the A64, does anyone know how the quality on those are?

Never had an Intel OEM fan die on me....
I build less on the AMD side, so new to them (wel OEM heatsinks anyways), thanks for the tips

I've had AMD fans fail after only a week of use. Due to their extremely poor quality, I discontinued purchasing stock AMD HSFs long ago. I figured that the $30 one spends on a halfway decent HSF for a customer's machine is a fairly cheap insurance policy...

hafa said:
I've had AMD fans fail after only a week of use. Due to their extremely poor quality

Yet another reason why AMD is the number 2 player in the CPU market, and many companyies wont touch AMD.

sad really....

ANy idea who makes the fans?

No idea who makes the fans....

I build exclusively AMD. The price/performance ratio is very hard to beat. The significant savings realized on the processor allow me to provide my customers with better RAM, Mobos, drives and video cards which translate to much better overall system performance and quality while not deviating from a given price point.

Here's what I got in my Retail 2500+ just a couple days ago. Aluminum heat sink with VERY thin fins. I can squeeze them together without much effort they are so thin. Delta DC Brushless fan Model AFB0621MC Ratings:

Volts 12 , Oper Volts 7 - 13.8 , Amp 11 , Watt 1.32 , Speed 3600 , 18.15 Max Cfm , 28dba

The base of the HSF has what looks like an aluminum slug that is screwed on. It could be copper with a nickle plating though. The slug is a different color than the rest of the HSF. And a nice little patch of grey T.I.M. Looking at this thing I am soo happy I bought the 947U :)

Sorry to bring this thread up but we just got a shipment of processors in and all have that cheap copper block screwed into the base, they were 2000+'s and a 2600+ barton (yes there is a 2600+ barton).

Looks that AMD found there retail sink finally :rolleyes:

a friend of mine had a stock AMD HS. He now has a SLK-700 A with an 80mm fan (yay pliers++). After removing the old HSF which happened to use WAY TOO MUCH retention pressure making it almost impossible to remove, we found the same ghetto screwed on copper slug. My guess is that there would have been better heat transfer with out it. I unscrewed it and tried to pull it off, i thought hrm, maybee the screws were just some sort of insurance for a soldier job, but then i twisted, and nope, i found a layer of cheep silver looking TIM (i suspect its the fake AS5 type stuff). I was appaled.

Back