• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it possible to run single channel with two sticks of RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

felinusz

Senior Overclocking Magus
Well, I have heard (and discovered myself) that a much higher FSB is obtainable running single channel with one stick of RAM.

Dual channel seems to make very little perfomance difference with AMD systems, and hurts FSB overclocking a fair deal - and I want to raise my FSB a lot more as it is really the only thing I *can* increase with my cooling and processor - I'm topped clock-speed wise.

I have two sticks of RAM - made for dual channel use. But can I run these two sticks in single channel - or is it impossible?

If it is not possible (which I suspect it isn't) Is it worth my time to get a single 512 meg stick of good OCZ Plat BH-5, or Mushkin BH-5 and sell my OCZ EL dual channel kit? Or would the diffrence be negligible, or even negative?

I am kinda stuck between wanting more FSB, and not wanting to sell/trade this RAM :(

Thanks a lot for any help.

Well I've been told that placing the ram in slots 1+3 or 1+2 will give you single-channel, however I've never been able to do that. Everytime I put more than one stick in, it will say Dual Channel Enabled upon bootup.

Exactly - same here.

The board's manual even seems to hint that it is possible - but doesn't elaborate.

felinusz said:
Or would the diffrence be negligible, or even negative?

I am kinda stuck between wanting more FSB, and not wanting to sell/trade this RAM :(

the difference between 210fsb and 230fsb will be negligible. I would keep the 2 sticks over 1 stick for future upgrades like a p4 :p (i recently changed my 230+fsb amd system for a p4)

I would never, ever, ever, even *consider* doing something like that :)

The thing that really gets me is how little Dual Channel seems to do for my system - one stick of 256 has a sandra bandwidth virtually the same a two at the same speed - which is odd seeing as how Dual Channel is supposed to be such a groundbreaking thing.

Back