• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu temp question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

forgoten

Registered
I have P3 1000mhz processor, on a VIA mobo... dont remember specificson mobo... It "says" its running at 29degrees celcius but i dont believe it.. Do you think in your professional oppionion and experience that this is posible or is my temp gauge f*cked??

It is unlikely that the temperature reading is correct, seeing as how the temperature readings on all mobo's suck. I assume you have a stock heatsink since you didn't mention what you are using so that makes it even more unlikely

You are reading from an insocket thermistor and these are notoriously poor in accuracy.

You should probably edit that last word, judging by your sig it would help to be a little more mindful of the forum rules. The word filter would star out the majority of that word for a reason. ;)

Last edited:
IMOG said:
You should probably edit that last word, judging by your sig it would help to be a little more mindful of the forum rules. The word filter would star out the majority of that word for a reason. ;)

Relax man, he's just trying to express a little emotion. And I don't think some little kid is going to walk up to his parents and ask them what f*cked means... how would you even pronounce that bloody word? I do agree with IMOG on the temp. reading though, I don't think you could pull off 29 degrees with a P3 at 1 gig, especially with a stock HSF.

Here's a link to why thermal readings suck:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/measurement1.htm

And here's a link to calibrate your P3 diode:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/diode_calibration.htm

After reading that, I'm not clear as to whether you are reading from the internal diode or the insocket thermistor, but I would still expect that you are reading from the insocket thermistor.

Alpha_gamer:

I'm relaxed, and to tell you the truth it doesn't even bother me seeing it - It wasn't personal. If he changes it before a moderator notices, then he won't get any sort of warning. I was doing him a favor, not trying to be a hero and save little kids from corruption.

2. No hard language is permitted. If you feel you absolutely must swear the use of Stars (*) can convey your feeling with out endangering your place in our forums.

I had a 733 overclocked to 833 before and it was running ~40-50C on full load with a stock HS.

I would say the reading is off.

Back