• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FSB x Multiplier = GHz > right ?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cornetet

Registered
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me work some numbers... and help me pick my memory:

I'm buying the following components:
> Intel P4 3.0C Ghz 800MHz Hyper-Threading
> ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe mobo (because I've been told to stay away from the Abit IC7-MAX3 mobo due to voltage problems)

I would like to overclock my 3.0C GHz to get around 3.7 to 3.9 GHz.

If my calculation are correct to get into that range I would need a FSB of around 250MHz to 266MHz:
example 250mhz x 15 = 3750MHz
example 266mhz X 15 = 3990MHz
...are these calculations correct?

So based on my MOBO (Asus P4C800E-Deluxe) what memory options below should I choose? ...and WHY?:

#1 OCZ Enhanced Latency Series Dual-Channel PC4200 CAS Latency = 2.5-4-4-7 (will this even work with my MOBO?)

#2 OCZ Enhanced Latency Series Dual-Channel PC4000 CAS Latency = 2.5-4-4-7

#3 OCZ Enhanced Latency Series Dual-Channel PC3700 CAS Latency = 2-3-3-7

#4 Mushkin PC4000 Dual-Pack CAS Latency = ? not listed on mushkin.com

#5 Mushkin PC3500 Dual-Pack CAS Latency = 2-3-2-6

Yes, Multiplier * FSB is GHz.

It won't be easiest thing to get 250MHz w/ a 15X Multiplier on a 3.0C, even with a high-end air or water cooling set-up. You might be limited to ~240 by the processor/cooling, which would give you ~3.6GHz. What are you planning on doing to cool this system?

As for memory, a FSB of 240-250MHz is a bit of a dead-spot for memory. Running low-latency memory up at high speeds takes a bit of work and the will to run costy memory at high voltage. Running high-latency PC4x00, on the other hand, is quite easy.

The Asus P4C800-E Deluxe is a great board. It does lack in VDIMM options, however, which would require you to run less then 2.85V, or mod your motherboard or PSU. The VDIMM mod on a P4C800-E Deluxe is easier then that on an Abit IC7-G, and doesn't require and permanent mods. The Asus P4C800-E doesn't suffer from the voltage stability problems that hamper the Abit IS7/IC7-series. Another good board that just recently came out is the DFI LANPARTY PRO875B, which offers VDIMM options of up to 3.3V. Of course, running memory at higher voltage isn't the best thing for it. The increase load caused the the higher voltage and heat produced can limit, even significantly, memory life, as well as void warrenties.

Without these increased voltage, however, you won't be able to run memory with 1:1 FSB:MEM ratio and keep low-timings. If you increase the voltage to your memory above 3.0V, you have the possiblity that it may be able to run ~230-240 and keep up with your CPU.
You do have the possibility of using the 5:4 FSB:MEM ratio, which, when partnered with low timings (2-2-2), can offer performance that is slightly higher (and possibly quite cheaper) then high-end (high-latency) PC4x00. But unless you can get your CPU above 250FSB, then you would be running below DDR400.
Or you could purchase high-latency, high-speed, memory and run it at a 1:1 FSB:MEM ratio. Most PC4x00 should be more then capable of keeping up with a 3.0C under most conditions.

What memory I would recommend depends on what you want to do, with regards to the three possiblities above.

Actually multiplier*FSB (in mhz)=Mhz... not Ghz... but thats just being picky:D I think you/we all knew waht you meant.

I personaly don't like OCZ too much, and suggest you check out Buffalo which uses the same chips as some of the other top memory manufacturers, you just don't get the fancy heatspreader (but it's usualyl a good deal cheaper).

Speed_Mechanic2 said:
The Asus P4C800-E doesn't suffer from the voltage stability problems that hamper the Abit IS7/IC7-series.

Huh? What voltage stability problems? My two IC7 mobos have the best voltage regulation of any mobo I've ever owned.

The DFI Lanparty mobo? A couple people here on the forum had bad luck with those. If you want high vmem, then go for the Abit AI7 or volt mod the Asus P4C800.

Most Abit boards undervolt. The IC7-MAX3 has problems when settings above 2.9V. IC7's are good boards, just the VDIMM mod on one them is not as simple as on the P4C800. This is all considering that one wants to put 2.8V+ into their memory, which might not be the case.

I havn't heard many problems about the latest DFI LANPARTY PRO875B. The earlier PRO875 did have a lot of problems, but the 875B is basically a brand new board.

Back