• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Deep freezer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yuriman

My grandpa is getting rid of his deep freezer soon, and I asked if I could have it. I think I may throw my pc into it, but I dont know if my watercooler can handle it. Will it be bad for my pump? Will running 100% antifreeze make it better to use air cooling? Would I be better off putting on my Volcano7? I know I wont be able to hear it inside there.

BTW its a big freezer, somewhere around 3"/3"/4".

If I ever decide to take it out, or if I want to go to a lan party, wont the silicon insulate my mobo and make it overheat?

Why don't you make a phase changing system out of it? or just get a very large radiator and put in in the freezer along with the pump to try to get a almost silent computer?

Just ideas but with the risk of condensation I would not attempt it with any of my personal hardware.

i think that sounds like a good idea. nothing can condense if the whole thing is in there, but i think there was a thread somewhere that said that mechanical things like harddrives and cd drives could suffer. im not sure where though. in this article here it reccommends:
If you wish to cool at temperatures below 0°C, the fluid of choice is a blend of methanol and water. Windshield washer fluid is a suitable blend, though some brands may include unnecessary and undesirable additives like detergents. A pure blend of 33% methanol and 67% water will work well to at least –20°C.

looks liek if the harddrive and cdrom can suffer you are goign to have to do soemthing like fire wire it and change to external harddrives and cd-roms or seomthign like that haha

What good would a CD-ROM drive do inside the freezer in the first place? Opening it very often would not be a good idea - it'd be a sure fire recipe for mucho condensation.

A HDD should be fine I would think if it were put in a baggy and sealed so that there could be no condensation getting to it... But I don't know if the bearings or grease may gum up at lower temperatures.

I think you shoudl just use to to cool the water somehow (or perhaps phas change, if it's strong enough....). Maybe you could make a smaller compartment for the HC to go... Putting your whole computer into friges has been talked about and usually it is deemed impracticle for various reasons... You should be able to find a decent number of threads if you search.

crzy.JPG

red spiral is copper tubes

top is in bottom is out
the spiral is to try and maintain good flow (obviously make it tighter)
the green box is teh freezer

with enough water pressure the water wont freeze (try to keep alchol to a minumum, unless its the kind your drinking - but dont get the two kinds confused it would be a waste of good whatever)

I think ive decided to go with a copper spiral and use quick connects, so if I go to a lan party I can just put my rad back into the loop easily.

Hi, Yuriman. I've put my computer in a refrigerator before. http://oc-forums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=197769 I think you will have much better results than me because you will be using a deep freezer.

You DO NOT need to worry about condensation when you have the computer in a fridge like this. It's the same on the computer has having a super low ambient temp.

What would he do for his CD drive though, or what do you do?

I would still worry about the bearings or something else getting gummed up in the HDD also in a deep freezer, if things were allowed to get cold enough.

squeakygeek said:

I would feed the ribbon cable through the crack in the door.

But what if through that crack warmer air with more moisture gets in and then the water in it freeze's on somthing like the motherboard...

I've read through CamH's thread and it was great if you haven't read it yet you should

CamH whatever happened to the Fridge PC. You still running it ??

Well, since it was a mini fridge, it could hardly handle the heat load of my computer. It kept it in the area of 15c system temps, I think. When I got my 9800, it put out a lot more heat than my Ti4200, and the fridge just couldn't keep the system cool anymore.

Back