• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

straight answer about MBM 5 please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DoubleJ8

I need a straight, solid answer about MBM 5 if someone can provide it. I've followed links posted here and elsewhere and gone to their "runaround" site looking for answers to the following question and all I get is language I don't understand. The question is:

What is the difference between CPU Diode Temp and CPU Socket Temp?

A very big THANK YOU to whoever can help me with this.

DoubleJ8 said:

Diode temp is the reading that comes from a sensor mounted inside the actual cpu. Socket temp is read from a sensor which is externally under the cpu. Diode temp is usually the higher reading.

Al

I'm pretty sure that's right Fast. Most boards read from the socket temp. One way to help, at least a little, is to bend your temperature probe up a little, so that it touches the bottom of your CPU.

Just for absolute clarity, the socket temp probe is part of the motherboard. It is not mounted to the underside of the CPU.

DoubleJ8 said:
I need a straight, solid answer about MBM 5 if someone can provide it. I've followed links posted here and elsewhere and gone to their "runaround" site looking for answers to the following question and all I get is language I don't understand. The question is:

The CPU diode temp is read from inside of the CPU DIE.

On P4's and AMD CPU's, the CPU diode temp is not in the hottest part of the CPU and it is unknown by how much this affects their readings. In P3's the diode is right in the middle of the hottest part of the CPU and it's readings are true if the diode is calibrated. The only way to get a true CPU reading is with a P3 CPU and a calibrated CPU diode. All other readings have somewhat unknown accuracy.

The CPU Socket Temp is read from inside the ZIF socket that the CPU is mounted in - there is a sensor in the middle of the socket that touches the back of the CPU.

These readings are fairly inaccurate. IMO, the only readings that mean anything to me from an in-socket temp reading are 70C, 35C, and -10C.

Re: Re: straight answer about MBM 5 please.

IMOG said:

These readings are fairly inaccurate. IMO, the only readings that mean anything to me from an in-socket temp reading are 70C, 35C, and -10C.

Thats true! I dont worry too much about temp readings, STABILITY is the only thing that really counts:)

Al

Well my Socket temp is a constant 33C and my Diode temp ranges from 26C to 34C. That's why I was wondering because, almost no matter what I do, the Socket temp stays at 33C but the diode temp fluctuates constantly. Just wondering what I would consider my "CPU" temp.

And how do I get my chip temp? Do I need to put a sensor on the chip? BIOS shows the temp but MBM 5 does not.

If you can't get the temp in MBM then you probably have the wrong sensor selected. What motherboard are you using?

nothing in there about it. I hooked up a temp sensor to the one temp port on the board and put it outside the case. It is within 1 degree Farenheit of the actual temp. I'm not sure if this is because it is a separate temp sensor or if the baord temps are actually correct?

DoubleJ8 said:
Well my Socket temp is a constant 33C and my Diode temp ranges from 26C to 34C. That's why I was wondering because, almost no matter what I do, the Socket temp stays at 33C but the diode temp fluctuates constantly. Just wondering what I would consider my "CPU" temp.

And how do I get my chip temp? Do I need to put a sensor on the chip? BIOS shows the temp but MBM 5 does not.

Hate to quote myself but, does anyone have an answer to this? I have an ASUS A7N8X-X

i don't think the a7n8x-x shows the diode temp for the cpu...
u sure that isn't for the motherboard?
the diode inside your processor isn't necessarly for you to see, its connected to a switch which 'should' shut off your computer if temp. get to high.

Goto the MBM main Web Page Here:http://www.mbm.livewiredev.com/

In the top left column, click on "Motherboard List",then click on the Asus name. That will give you a list of what sensor each Asus board uses.

Looks like the A7V8X-X just uses a socket sensor according to the listing, so maybe the A78N8x-x will not have it either.

All the other A7N8X boards have both sensors, so maybe you can check yours to see if you can match any with one of the other A7N8X boards.

Al

Well, with Prime95, the "Socket" temp gets up to about 40C and the "Diode" temp gets up to about 57C so, I'm gonna assume that the "Socket" sensor is the chip temp and the "Diode" temp is for the CPU. Unless someone thinks this is wrong.

DoubleJ8 said:

Well, with Prime95, the "Socket" temp gets up to about 40C and the "Diode" temp gets up to about 57C so, I'm gonna assume that the "Socket" sensor is the chip temp and the "Diode" temp is for the CPU. Unless someone thinks this is wrong.

You should consider the higher, more responsive to load temperature closer to your actual temperature - refer to the diode temperature.

You need to know what you are talking about, or explain to us what you are referring to when you say "chip" temp. I assume you mean the chipset temperature, as in the Northbridge temperature, but I'm not sure if you mean something else.

MBM5 can report any temperature that your bios can report, you just need to test different settings to find the right ones... Or see if MBM lists the settings for your motherboard in the list on their website.

I thought I already explained what the socket temp and the diode temp were? They are both readings of your CPU DIE temperature - the diode reading is taken from inside the DIE, the socket reading is taken from a sensor underneath the CPU on the mobo that touches the back side of the CPU.

How many temperatures does your bios report?

Do you still have the manual that came with your motherboard? It should explain what all of the bios temperature readings are. No one reads their mobo manual anymore it seems, but it has a lot of information right there specifically about your exact board and it even has pictures.

Back