• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Big Question about upgrade from a Volcano 7+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chupacabras

Registered
Like the subject says, I've got a Volcano 7+ and its running my 1800 DLT3C @ 2350 @ 1.78v. When the fan is running full bore, idle temps are about 37ish C (and 22C case) load rising accordingly. Using Speedfan, the computer can stay 46C idle with only 10% juice (reported by the program, but I doubt its actually this low) to the cpu fan so its just about silent, except my 2 120mm fans (need to cut out that grill at the back of my Sonata, you can hear the turbulance most).

My Question is whether a upgrade to a Thermaltake Volcano 12 Extreme or Thermalright is the right direction. Since I'm up in Toronto, thermalright sinks are VERY expensive to come by, while I can walk in to a local store and pay 45 cdn (35usd) for the Volcano 12. Another reason I'm interested in the Volcano is because it looks like its fan draws less power than the 7+ (5.4W vs 6.6W), as well as pushing more air, so it would be safer in the cpu header of my Abit NF7-S v2.0. However, since the fan doesnt spin up unless under load now, is this power draw an issue?

In reference to thermalright availability, I've yet to see a place that sells $20usd SLK800/900s who ship to Canada. The best prices I've found (which will ship up here) are 28usd for a 800U and about 32usd for a 900A. I've found a Canadian store out in BC (vipe computers) who have SLK 800/900s @ 40cdn/30usd (on sale), but cheapest shipping is 17CDN, and I'd have to pay 7% tax.

So the options are a local pickup Volcano 12 Extreme for 45cdn+15% tax is $52. Or a $40cdn+$15 shipping for a SLK900, and I still would need a fan +$10, which totals about $65 which would rise if i bought from canada (+7% sales tax) or from the US (get hit with brokerage fee). So its $52 for a Volcano 12 vs $70-90 for a slk-900a. There is one local store which stocks thermalright sinks that I know off, and its bigfootcomputers, however, they charge a premium--55cdn for a 800a, 65cdn for 900a or 947u. With tax, that's concievably $64, $75 respectively, and still would need a fan (+15cdn).

Then there's that question of by spending $60-100 on a new heatsink combo, how much of a higher clock will there be to gain over the 7+? Right now the system maxes out with fan on full bore at [email protected] with pretty high temps. Would it plausable I would get another 100mhz with a newer cooling solution?

Just need help organizing some thoughts,

Thanks

I feel your pain.Glad I live in TEXAS.The main thing to keep in mind is the price of quality.I dont think you can equal the quality
or performance of the Thermalright line of HSs."We would rather
explain the price of quality than to have to apoligize for something less".I try to use this idea when I spend my hard earned money,THE FANMAN:cool:

HS REVIEW LINK

Back