• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question About P4 Stock Heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Onizuka

Im getting a 2.6c, and my friend told em I shuold just use the retail heatsink since I wont be overclocking. Was just wondering is the stock heatsink decent to use? Also it uses a thermal pad doesnt it? If I decided sometime in the future to use a different heatsink, would I have a problem getting the retail one off?

Thanks

Yeah, the stock heatsink is fine for stock speed and very cheap as heatsinks go. A plus is that the fan is temperature controlled.

I think taking the thermal pad off and using AS3 is probally a good idea. As a note, don't use something harder than copper to take that pad off. The flat side of a plastic knife is a good idea.

Alrighty Ill pick up some Artic Silver. As for removing the thermal pad, what works best? I've heard everything from credit card to razor blade to plastic knife now...hehe. Also should I clean it off with something after I remove it?

Thanks

Yeah...Go to Artic Silver's web-site and they have very detailed instructions on how to prep you heat sink and processor using their products...On another note...Do not purchase AS III, purchase Artic Silver 5...Much better than either Ceraminqe or AS III...Goop off or OOPS works well removing the black stuff on the Intel heat sink...Having some brake clean or carberator cleaner from you local auto parts and some 90% or better Isoproply Alcolol and you should be set...Make sure to use just a small amount of Artic Silver 5 on the core of the processor...About half a BB right in the center...Do not spread it over the entire core...Just follow the instructions and you should be good to go...:D

Thanks for the help =). I ordered a tube of AS 5 from SVC for $5 with free shipping. Hopefully it doesnt take too long to get here, I'll have all my computer stuff this week =X.

Read the Artic Silver isntructions, wow they show ya everything =) I was thinking you had to cover all of the surface ,but guess ya just gotta do that circle in the center thingy.

In their pics it looks like the cpu is on the floor...I do install it to mobo and THEN use AS correct?

Also whats up with the wiggling? I woulda thought that could damage the cpu/mobo....

The wiggle is to get a good contact between the mating surfaces and the TIM.And possible work out any trapped air and excess material. THE FANMAN:cool:

Back