• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need case fans for new system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hidden Leader

Registered
I've just gotten a new system from HP, its an AmD based system, so everything in there is pretty hot. As far as I can see, there are no fans but the one in the power supply and one in the front. I need to put on in the back slot and probably reverse the flow on my old one to get the airflow going right. Anyway, what type fan (80mm) would you guys reccomend that would help this thing to cool better? I intend on overclocking it soon, so I know I need a lot better cooling, Im thinking about a Tornado. Does anyone know their website? Do any of you have any suggestions?

well... a tornado woudl do the job quite well, but would you be willing to put up with the noise level? 56dba is what those fans are rated at.
http://www.svc.com/80torfan.html

it moves a lot of air, but will make you deaf i swear.

A lot of people reccomend this because it moves ok air and is really quiet
http://www.svc.com/pan80.html

althought for overclocking, you would want to get as much airflow as possible

http://www.svc.com/fba08a12h.html

this fan is used in a lot of systems *myself included* because it is user controlable

http://www.svc.com/thersmarcasf.html

to get more flow and less noise, its generally better to use bigger fans at lower rpm. bigger blades means more surface area , more air moved per pass, less rpm and thus less turbulence generated at the blade tips = less noise.

i will assume that your intake fan is in your drive cage as it is in most computer cases. there is a lot of restrictions to airflow there, i would use a more powerful fan there than in your exaust to overcome the restrictions, of course, i belive having a slight vacum also works.

im no expert, but i hope that i at least pointed you in the right direction.

tornado isn't too bad.

if u can hook a vibration dampener on it and lub it up a bit it's not too bad.

plu sits rated at 56 dba when u leave it on a table and listen.

you case should block some of it.

thats true too. my smart fan 2 on cpu is supposed to be 48 dba. compared to a tonado that isnt a big difference but the tornado is higher pitched by a LOT!.
im not used to running my case with sides closed, i just baught a super lanboy all aluminum case that came with like... a box of vibration damping mounting for everything. i went as far as to mount my motherboard with rubber washers on the standoffs. with the system all closed, I hear more of the movment of air than the high wine of my smart fan 2. your case is likely a lot heavier than mine too.

I guess I'll look at 2 Tornados. The noise won't be a problem. I once slept through an F2 tornado. (literally) So it can't be that bad. Oh yeah, and while Im thinking about it, whats a good heatsink/fan combo for an AMD Athlon XP 2800+? Im wanting to overclock it, but only have some cheap stock heatsink on it? Im looking at the volcano series. What brand/model do you recommend?

Last edited:
Hidden Leader, I hate to be the Oger here but ,please read this sticky before you spend a lot of money and then find out you cant do what you wanted to do later. THE FANMAN:cool:

STICKY LINK :D

I have a good OC ing system. From what others have told me.
AMD Athlon XP 2800+
Asus A7n8X-LA (good OCing board, proprietary though)
512 MB DDR PC 2700 DRAM
onboard Geforce 4 MX. (going to experiment on Overclocking it when I get some more fans)
So you see, the RAM might be a problem, but everything else is alright.

Last edited:
the BIOS is yes, but, the jumpers are not. I don't mind doing it the hard way if my computer will accept the changes. Probably gonna get a new mobo that can handle an Athlon 64 anyway before next year's out, just gonna see if it can be done on this board.

Thats kewl dood.I just didn't want you to be dissapointed.I had
no idea I was going to OC when I got my mobo.Lucky its somewhat OC friendly.You know the old "why didn't somebody tell me ealier thing". THE FANMAN:cool:

Back