• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temperature controlled fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valk

Is it possible to bypass the temp sensor on temp controlled case fans? my case came with a pair of 120 mm's one with leds. they run rather.. badly right now, but reading the specs on them, it appears they move 60 cfm at 50º. ;) can i override temperature sensors or fool them into thinking its 50º?

Valk,If you cut the sensing bulb off and put the 2 wires together
ie. solder. They should run full speed.Now ,it's time for fan speed control! :D You can put a rheostat on each or get a fan controller.
THE FANMAN:cool:
The rheostats are cheaper,smaller,than a fan controller!

Last edited:
Yes, there is a way, but WARNING if you do this mod you will not be able to get it to work by temperature sensing again, it will just run at full speed all the time. Cut the sensor off and tape the 2 wires that run up to the sensor together, I did that and now I have a fan running at full speed all the time. If you want to be able to manually change the speed I would look into a fan speed controller or rheobus, check out www.svc.com, they have some nice stuff. Hope that helps.

Matt

aww ****. i took all my fans out to do some modding, thanks guys for the suggestions btw.... buuuuuuut these fans dont actully have temperature sensors on them.. they just really suck =\
I thought that antec was including thermal case fans with their cases, i was wrong....
this is somewhat depressing, the 80 mm sunbeam fan i got with my round cold cathodes moves more air than these things do.... i think ill conduct a little experiment, maybe ill take one of them out and blow my hair dryer at it, see if it does speed up. there is no sensor in view anywhere. at least not one that sticks up like most others do. oh well, i can always over volt them.. was it the -7 rail that makes 14 volts?

I don't think hooking the temp sensor wires together would work

I thought that the little temp bulb generated electricy when heated so at 50c it might put out .5v and at 60 it would be .7v

So if that is true taking the bulb out would make the fan think the temp is VERY low

I think it is ThermalCouples that i am talking about there is other ways to take temps that might be differnt though

zebkoolindc said:
I don't think hooking the temp sensor wires together would work

I thought that the little temp bulb generated electricy when heated so at 50c it might put out .5v and at 60 it would be .7v

So if that is true taking the bulb out would make the fan think the temp is VERY low

I think it is ThermalCouples that i am talking about there is other ways to take temps that might be differnt though

To tell you the truth I don't know much about the fan and the sensor and how they work together. All I know is my friend told me that if I cut off the sensor and hook the 2 wires together it would run at full speed. I did exactly what he says and it does run at full speed.
:D

Matt

is there someplace to pick up a kit (or instructions to make my own) that will run a fan at a speed relative to the temp? i'd love ot put my case fans on one...

Valk if u don't mind possibly loosing the fan. take the blade hub of the motor, by taking out a C pin behind the sticker, and replace the resistor on the little controller board with one of lesser resistance.
DO NOT JUST REPLACE WITH A WIRE, IF U DO, THE FAN WILL BECOME EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND UNSTABLE.

there is a lot of info on thermistors here. i found it while looking to see what was the noisiest thing in my case. heres a quote:
Thermistor controlled fans are nothing new. They’ve been around since thermistors were invented back in the stone age (1940s? Just a guess). The word thermistor is derived from combining the words thermal and resistor. So you know that it is a resistor that changes its resistance in response to changes in temperature. A thermistor controlled fan is normally used to keep noise and power consumption down, and increasing drive voltage to the fan only when increased heat requires more cooling.

im really not clear yet as to how they work.

como: this is a product that regulates fans with respect to case temps. (and on sale for only $10)

Last edited:
Back