• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning melted thermal pad from P4/HS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InsecTMutant

Registered
Hi,

I'm remounting the stock heatsink back onto my P4 (after using the original thermal pad). I've got some Arctic Silver 5 and have just read their instructions. they say...

"ONLY Arctic Silver thermal compound should be between the processor core and the heatsink. Remove any thermal pads or other interface material from the heatsink before applying the Arctic Silver. Thermal pads can be scraped off with a plastic tool that will not scratch the bottom then the remnants can be removed with a xylene based cleaner, (Goof Off and some carburetor cleaners) acetone, mineral spirits, Akasa TIM-Clean, or high-purity isopropyl alcohol."

...which is fair enough. but they go on to say...

"If your heatsink has a thermal 'pad' mounted on it, this pad must be removed before using Arctic Silver thermal compound. Thermal pads are made with paraffin wax that melts once it gets hot. When it melts, it will fill in the microscopic valleys in the heatsink with wax. To minimize the permanent contamination of the mounting surface with wax, the thermal pad should be removed before it is used and melted. Never use heat or hot water to remove the pad, the heat will melt the wax into the heatsink."

So it's quite likely that my HS might be permanently contaminated with the wax. Is my only choice to lap the HS or will Goof Off suffice?

Also what should I use to remove any remaining wax residue from the CPU?

:)

lapping is basically ur only option to remove wax, sorry to say, but ur going to have to do it anyways....the base of the heatsink prolly isnt as flat or smooth ud like it to be so its basically something u should do anyways...

ive used goof off b4, and it only removes the outer layer of wax...it doesnt actually go into the microscopic parts of the hs base and take em out

Superb. Thanks guys. Just gotta find a tutorial on lapping for noobs. Shouldn't be a prob, looks like a gotta wait for internet delivery anyway, lmfao @ uk peoples faces when you ask them if they stock denatured aclohol/pure acetone/pure isopropyl alcohol. Worth asking them for their facial expression alone:D

Can anyone rate Akasa Tim-Clean? I could do with an experienced unbiased opinion on this. (arcticsilver advise a xylene based cleaner although they recommend this citrus based cleaner as is supposed to leave minimum residue :roll eyes: Slightly contradictory).

Doesn't look like the uk is well equiped with xylene based cleaners, or anything remotely connected:mad: This is the only one I could find. Sorry I is the noob (becoming semi-noob by the paragraph:))

P.S. My posts will get shorter soon, honest:rolleyes:

I just thought of how you would remove wax from carpet,with a clothes iron and some obsorbant material like paper towels.Put the towel on the processor and heat with iron on lowest heat that will melt the wax.This will be obsorbed into the paper towel.
Repeat the process until no more residue shows on towel. My nickles worth. THE FANMAN:cool:

Last edited:
Lmao:D I'm being serious, Let's talk metal as opposed to fabrics...

Will Tim-clean cut the mustard (or thermal pad), bearing in mind my previous post?:rolleyes: :(

Thanks, fanman. Although this does not resolve/disolve my ctirus/xylene question. Would welcome you personal comments. Signed noob-masta

(P4 3.06)

I used GOO-GONE a citrus based cleaner.It also contains petrolium distillates. I put a small amount on a old cotton tee shirt and gentle wipe the residue from the OE pad off.After I got it clean,I took some alcohol and cleaned it with a clean potion of the tee-shirt. Thats how I cleaned my OE crud off of my CPU IHS.
(Intergraded Heat Spreader).The metal plate on top of your procesor. THE FANMAN:cool:

PS: I tried using the alchohol 1st. But it would not lift the goo!

Copy that. thanks archilochus. Citrus based it is then... Seeing as your the link-guru, have you got one for noob lapping? Think I should be careful with this copper middle on the OEM P4 HS eh:)

Yes you need to be careful.Do you use any type of anti static protection devices? Be careful where you touch things.You fingers contain oils and acids not friendly to contacts.I wear latex gloves and use anti-static wrist band and mat.Heres a link to some lapping.I dont mind pointing one in the direction of knowledge.As long as you get some benefit from it .THE FANMAN:cool:

LAP LINK

Sorry I forgot the link!

Awesome, ur the man.

No, no static prevention measures other than touching a radiator/case. I'm careful but, according to PCFormat, unless you purposefully, scooch ur feet across the carpet for a few hours, static is not a major problem. When you touch the case you're imediately at the same static level as your pc components are anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Copy that. will get some gloves too. Thanks for the tips. Will let you know what my temps are like soon:cool:

Hey, I got a star under my name:) He he, is my one gold star better than your five bronze stars?lol, only playin.

Back