• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newbie p4c800 deluxe with 2.4c

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rob69X

Registered
ok i am sorta new to overclocking i have done a bit in the past but never go into it real hard
now i just bought a new asus p4c800 deluxewith a 2.4c and seen that people had gotten to overclock them up to 3.8+
now i know they all cant get that but i am willing to at least try to get it up there some
so far i got it to 3.0 with just raising the fsb to 250mhz in dual channel mode
i have just the stock cooler
i need some pros advice on doing this right
Rob

1. Get you rig running like you like it stock
2. Slowly increase fsb w/ default voltage until unstable
3. Once you've increased fsb to max w/ default volt and stability slowly increase volt to see how far you can push the chip.
4. When a sweet spot is found (speed,volt,temps) start increasing timings on your memory.
5. Overclocking isn't an exact science, it all depends on luck and patients.
6. Good luck

cool thanx its a start
does anyone else have the same system that has done some overclocking??
if so what settings do you have???
Rob

increase timings?

4. When a sweet spot is found (speed,volt,temps) start increasing timings on your memory

Could you be a bit more specific about changing memory timing? Or show me a guide to learn/follow?

Also I am going to a computer show tommorow to buy memory and I am a little confused about something:
If I buy DDR 4000 memory, then do I have to lower the memory to 320 or can I keep it at 1:1? I don't understand what kind of benefit I would get by slowing the memory down. I have read on some posts to slow the memory down to OC so I am confused???

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!! Rob69X and dvd_maniac

My suggestion is to read up more on the forums here. There is bountiful information on Overclocking your setup. Do a search. I'll give you the basics. In regard to hitting 3.0 with your setup it should be easy.

In your BIOS turn your AI Overclock tuner to: Manual
slowly take your FSB up from 200 till you get to 250.
set your dram frequency to 266 to start till you acheive 250FSB
AGP/PCI set to 66/33
DO NOT EXCEED 1.7 volts on you CPU Vcore or run risk of damage
set your DDR voltage to 2.85volts
keep your AGP voltage at 1.5
Performance mode: standard
For now keep your ram timing by speed.
Keep Performace Acceleration on Auto

Have fun and keep us posted!

ok my ram is maxed at 250mhz with voltage do i raise ddr cpu???
and where is the timing adjustments?
Rob

hey gruvin2
i did all you said and its running at 3.017ghz
one question tho dram frequency you said start at 266 and work your way down to 250 but it goes up to 320 ? the lowest is 266
where should i go from here??
Rob
i also wasnt able to find ram timing??
thanx for the info its appreciated

You need to now see if you DDR will run at 320 (5:4), currently you are at 266Mhz(3:2)

Remember your DDR and CPU are running at different FSB unless in 1:1 ...Raise your DDR reference voltage up to 2.85. Leave your other voltages alone. You have no need to change them unless trying for extreme overclocks.

To change the timings of your DDR you need to got the BIOS and look for : Confirgure DRAM Timing by SPD: set to "Disabled" Then the sub items appear. Take a look in your User's manual for details. The idea is to get tighter timings = lower numbers.

dvd_manic- your new ram should be good OC'ers take some time and see how high you can get with timings of 2-2-2-5.

Keep me posted and ill do what i can to help.

well 320 didnt work crashed right away should i have raise the voltage past 2.85??
so i take it that 3 gig is it for now until i get better ram

if you have any other ideas fell free
what kinda ram do you recommend
Rob

gruvin2 I have the same board as you and a 3.0c 2x512 mushkin pc3500 level II. I can set 20% overclock and it runs 3.6 and 240 fsb and 160 memory. I can't overclock manually. Once I set AI to manual the next line cpu external frequency (MHz) is set to 200 and I can't change it. Is this FSB? Steve

one question that I forgot to ask is
is it better to run the memory in single or dual channel mode???
also what kind of temp. should i be looking for?? what exactly is too hot?

have you heard about corsair xms 4400 550mhz this should be awesome for overclocking??

i want to buy some better stuff

what would you recommend???

would really want to get it past 3.0 gig but not sure as to what i am doing and all i know to do is raise the FSB and 250 is best i can do without hang up and my temps are good just about 30 degrees
at 255 it runs good and still cool but when i play nfs underground it hangs on me
please help
Rob

hi i am using the same mobo with a 3.0 fsb chip and ddr 466mhz i have my ram at 320 in timings, a fsb of 236 mhz have left the dram voltage alone (so far) pci/agp 33/66 and have a rock steady o/c of 3526 mhz have run prime95, 3D mark 03 & 01 ....but i cant go any higher btw i am told the limit on the 3.0 p4 is around 3.6 is this correct??
btw sorry if i jacked ya thread but it seems sorta relevant;)

Well to start Rob69X for your setup i recommend some good pc3500 or pc3700 anything above won't yeild you as well since they can't get as tight with the timings. Your board doesn't have vdimm above 2.85volts unless there was a BIOS update. If you are getting hang ups at 250FSB you need to test your memory. Use Memtest86 and prime95 to check stability. It's possible you simply need to up you vcore a little to keep it stable.
Run your DDR at 5/4 since you have a 2.4c. Your memory is definately your limiting factor at this point. After 250FSB you need to watch your temps, as well expect you may need to raise your Vcore a little.
I would try for 3.2Ghz next...again going at most 5 fsb at a time. You shouldn't need to raise your Vcore over 1.6 to achieve this. Again set your Memory to 266 (3/2). If your temps are hitting 55c+ under load you need to look for a better cooling solution. Let me know how you progress.

SRB442- What type of memory do you have on your P4C800-E MotherBoard? The option below AI Overclocking Tuner is indeed your FSB.
To unlock it you must set your AI Overclocking Tuner to Manual 1st. You may then adjust your FSB as desired but please read your MB manual and my post above to do it properly. You can fatally damage components if your not careful when making changes in the BIOS.

$anch3z- You have some good memory. Set your Dram voltage to 2.85 and see whats the tighest timings you can get stable. . As to the limit of the 3.0c, its pot luck as to each persons overclock. Some just get luckier the others.

Thanks gruvin2. I have figured out most of this stuff now with everyones help. I have mushkin 2x512 pc3500 black level II. I have it it set 1:1 at 225 fsb. Have run prime 95 and have flunked test 3 times once for 4.5 hours,once for 9.5 hours and once for several minutes. My memory timings are 2-2-2-5 with 2.85 volts. It seems everyone is running faster on this setup but not me. Thanks again. Steve

thanx i raised the vdimm voltage and set fsb to 233 getting nice memory bandwidth on si-soft still gotta run prime95 but am back on a 1:1 but as far as imings go the best i can get is 3-4-4-8 i did try 2.5-4-4-8 but got unstable...overall though things are more stable:D

SRB442- you have some excellent memory. Most people do a vdimm mod to the board to get more voltage to the memory, giving it the ability to OC higher with little to no risk. Another thing to try is set your timings to 2-3-2-5 or 2-3-2-6 and try Prime95 again...use Torture test as well. I suspect thats all you need to get stability.

$anch3z- Now that you have you memory near its max...try these settings in BIOS.

Performance Mode: Turbo
Performance Acceleration: Enabled

If you can have those on and still stable you will get a little boost.

Back