• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR II is right around the corner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
But it runs so hot....and frankly, the 533MHz introduction speed fails to impress me, DDR-1 is already hitting 566MHz on loose timings.

still i wanna see the benchmarks and if it smokes DDRI then i am sooo buying it for my SMP operton system

Well from the looks of it from Micron and Crucial websites the timings will be very loose also. They list them at cl 3 and 4 which is horrible for an AMD person like myself and still prett bad for Intel users. They will have to get those timings way down for me to even consider DDR2 especially if its pricey.

The thing that did catch my eye is the voltages: 1.8V! :eek: If it can still handle the volts like we give DDR1 then they may have something but I guess we will see.

seamadan000 said:
if you want it then wait because it will not work with current motherboards, so the upgrade will necessitate a new board.

Didn't know that.........I'd be waiting I guess :D

Peace,

BalliN

everclock, I think I missed the part of the article where it says it runs hot?? Could you pease point it out to me? Because if what Wannaoc said is true, @ 1.8v... holy crap. It should run cooler, and the overclocking possibilities could be limitless.. ho ho ho... o_O

Guys, dont bash DDRII.

Your not impressed by 533mhz?

What did DDRI start at? pc2100...

give it time, you'll see.

I like the idea of DDRII but I do not like the idea of uprading my motherboard as well.....boo hoo

533 is impressive, loose timings are not. When and if it can do that at tight timings, then there will be something to talk about.

It's JUST coming out, I think you guys are critiquing it a littleeeeee too harshly, in a year it's be 1.2ghz at 2-2-2-1.5 and then we'll be complaining that DDRIII takes up 1.5 volts.

.....Sorry, I went off on a tangent/bad joke.

Well when something comes out that is sub-par to what is expected of it then it should be critiqued. Thats what will drive them to improve it. So far the only thing that DDR2 has that DDR1 doesn't is lower voltages, thats it.

So what if it does high speeds, with horrible timings it makes it pointless. That has been shown with running DDR1 at high speeds with low/high timings tests. Maybe for Intel this will be a good upgrade but for AMD it has much work left.

We, most likely, will not be seeing DDR2 @ 300MHz+ w/ 2-2-2-6 timings.

Memory latency timings of between 8-10 ns should produce performance on par to any memory clocks seen with DDR400-500 w/ 2-2-2-6 timings. This would be witnessed with DDR600 w/ 3-3-3-9 timings, or DDR800 w/ 4-4-4-12 timings.

Like others have said don't worry about what it is today. Think of what it will be tomorrow. It isn't like AMD released a 2.2GHz processor as lead off for the Athlon XP, they first released it at 1.33GHz-1.53GHz with the 1800+ and built there way up and it took a long time too. And whenever a new revision of something comes out it usually comes with a lower voltage, like AGP1x started at 5v and AGP2x with 3.3v then AGP4x with 1.5v and then AGP8x .8v. It is the same with SDRAM, it started at something like 3.3v and then we got DDR and got ~2.5v and now DDR-II with 1.8v.

They are also using a new process technology. I know the BH series of ram chips from winbond use 150nm technology and there CH series uses 130nm technology which offered little to nothing over 150nm. So voltages had to go down since it is now 100nm technology SDIIDS(Sudden DDR-II Death Syndrome). So just give it a little time, plus AMD is not going to DDR-II until 2005 so you would not have to worry about til then, like Sentential said.

u dont think ddr2 runs hot? go ask the ppl in the video card section if the ddr2 included on their 5800 ultra or radeon 9800 pro 256 runs hot......it is signifigantly hotter than ddr1

Back