• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IC7-G + P4 2.4HT + 1gb DDR PC3200 OCing HELP PLZ!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caincha

Hello
I just bought one Abit IC7-G Max II Advance, one Pentium 4 2.4 HT 800FBS, two 512mb DDR PC3200, one Radeon 7500 AIW and three Maxtor 7200rpm/ATA133 w/ IDE to SATA converter.
I also have a custom watercooling system (CPU-Swiftech, GPU-Innovatek, chipset-Koolance, 315GPH pump w/ maximum height over 4 feet) w/ a chiller (peltier) and a Thermaltake active memory cooler kit and I will place the original chipset cooler on the southbridge.
With all this I want to go to 2.8 or maybe 2.9 on the CPU and also get the most of my entire system without compromising its stability and without the risk of burning it down.
Now the questions:what should be the bios settings on the memories and CPU voltage?Should I do something in the bios to help improve my Radeon performance?I already use the Rage 3D-should I use something else?
Can anyone help me with the specifics?ANY help would be highly appreciated!

Thanks to all and sorry for my bad english-I'm brazilian after all...

1. Update to the latest bios.

2. In BIOS:
Soft Menu Setup:
Cpu Speed: Manual
FSB: 250
CPU N/B Strap: 800
DRAM Ratio: 5:4
AGP/PCI: Fixed
AGP/PCI frequency: 66/33
Vcore: 1.600V (in my opinion: safe for your cooling)
vdimm: 2.8V

Advanced Chipset settings:
Manual timings:
Start with these: (lower them if you can afterwards)
2.5 (cas)

Last 5 options:
Auto
Auto
Auto
Disable
Disable

(The last 2 are REALLy important for overclocking success)

Test this out, if it works, try upping the FSB. My guess is you could easily be able to make it to 270...

I can't get past the 250mhz barrier with my 2,4C
Runs like a charm at 3,0ghz 5:4 with default voltage and DDR voltage at 2,7. However, if I even try to go 1mhz over that it won't post.
I have an Abit IC7-G v1.9 and 1gig Corsair XMS3500c2 memory.
Tried to bump the core to 1,6v with all memory timings on relaxed and the GAT options disabled. Haven't tried 2,8v for the ram yet but I doubt that will do it. Have tried all the BIOS versions and same problem with all. AGP/PCI ratio is set to fixed always, and I NB-strap is set to "By CPU", cause that works up to 250mhz FSB.
Could it be some incompability with the ram?

Wow, thank you VERY MUCH Crotale!!!:D
I will sure try now to get to 270...:cool:

One more thing: I've read about Clockgen and I want to know your opinion about it...:p

crotale said:
Last 5 options:
Auto
Auto
Auto
Disable
Disable

(The last 2 are REALLy important for overclocking success)

Hey crotale, just wondering about why you would only disable the last GAT options? GAT only affect the RAM, correct? If you decide to run on a 3:2 CPU:MEM divider, will disabling any of the GAT options yield a higher CPU overclock?

I'm assuming you only suggested disabling the last two GAT options to improve stability with a 5:4 ratio?

Actually, I've never heard any real explaination to what the GAT settings exactly do. It is also unclear which of them that affect the memory and/or chipset.

Reasonable cooling and only using the 5:4 divider, the rest optimized defaults, usually goes to 250FSB, +-10.
Symptoms are brick wall or serious instability at that specific FSB, regardless of mem divider.
Disable them and everything is fine for a while.
Then at 300+ FSB there's some other freaky stuff going on...

Rhombuss said:

Hey crotale, just wondering about why you would only disable the last GAT options? GAT only affect the RAM, correct? If you decide to run on a 3:2 CPU:MEM divider, will disabling any of the GAT options yield a higher CPU overclock?

I'm assuming you only suggested disabling the last two GAT options to improve stability with a 5:4 ratio?

I personaly tested different options with the GAT, and found out that at a higher overclock, those settings work best. Except for the first auto ( the one which u can change to Turbo, Street Racer and F1 ), where if your memory can handle it, should be on the highest setting in the order which i listed which is from slowest to fastest.

The GAT is basically somethign that improves your memory and its efficency. To get a good feel of what u like, you might want to take some time and experiment with all of these options, and then maybe write down scores and everything on a piece of paper, so you knwo what works best with your board and with your memory! But trust me, its nothing to get scared of! . its pretty staright forward and easy to do. The settings of auto, auto, auto, disabled, disabled, are just a standard for peopel overlcockign with these motherboards. These settings seem to get the best overclock, and that is why they are used.

raven

No...I'm aware of what GAT does, but my only question is that it can only "help" your overclock if you want to run at a 5:4 or 1:1 ratio if RAM is your limitation. It will in no way help your CPU overclock.

It won't "help" the CPU. If the CPU is bad, no memory can help it. But if you set the GAT settings to something more aggresive, they might hinder, not only the CPU, but the whole system.

Back