• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Huge cooling upgrade!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Strida

I just bought myself 5 panaflos and a 120mm stealth, the 120mm for a blowhole.

I also did the shroud thing with my 92 mm tornado, the one which uses the body of a second 92 mm fan as the shroud, hehe. Anyways, I put some flaps in my shroud so 100% of my airflow for my tornado was going onto the SLK-900U, and temps dropped 5 degrees for CPU with both the shroud and new fans!

I wasn't expecting anything like this! I'm running @ 33 degrees idle, 40 degrees load (hour of prime95) while running @ 1.7 volts. I also got one of the new Arctic Cooling gpu coolers for my 9500 and got my core up another 35 mhz! Woohoo!

Anyways, I was stoked and felt like sharing, hehe.

Also, the shroud made my tornado a HELLUVA lot quieter for some reason. I mean it probably cut the sound in half!

Last edited:
Yeah the sound drop off from the cpu fan is most likely from having a lot less turbulence.

This is another good reason to dremel out the case fan punch outs, cuts down on turbulence, and noise.

Congrats.

Those are impressive results...congrats on the improvement. :) Turbulence = Evil.

I think you might have your voltages a little mixed up though...;)

Those are excellent results from a fan upgrade. Now keep that CPU @ full load all the time by folding :)

What size Panaflos did you use?

I'm using the 80mm 40cfm ones.

Argh, just found out one of them isn't working, lol. I wired it wrong and it blew my fan header. =(

Anyways... Tommorow I'm gunna completely disasemble the case, drill some holes for hiding wires, and get the rest of the fans I bought in the computer. BTW, how can I modify my fan header connection to go to a molex now? since I don't have enough connectors for all my fans.. :mad:

Also, what do you mean my voltages are messed up? I'm running my processor @ 1.7, completely stable. Also, I forgot to mention my ambient temperature, which is ~ 25 degrees. Grr, so hot during winter in our house, hehe.

OSUMaxx - The fans that were in there before were POS thermaltake ones that came with the case. I swear the moved less that 10 cfm and made over 40 dbA of noise each. I turned on my panaflo and went WHOA! Quieter AND 4 times more air!

<EDIT> WHOA, I see about those volts, better fix THAT typoe, lmao.. 7 volts! Woohoo! </edit?

Strida said:
I'm using the 80mm 40cfm ones.

Argh, just found out one of them isn't working, lol. I wired it wrong and it blew my fan header. =(

Anyways... Tommorow I'm gunna completely disasemble the case, drill some holes for hiding wires, and get the rest of the fans I bought in the computer. BTW, how can I modify my fan header connection to go to a molex now? since I don't have enough connectors for all my fans.. :mad:

I prefer to wire ALL of my fans to molex connectors from the PSU simply to minimize potential problems. If you don't want to make them, 3 to 4 pin molex converters are readily available on the internet. That way you will be able to connect all of your fans to the PSU directly.

Good luck :)

Can I just solder all of the wires onto one molex connector or something? I really don't feel like waiting another week for molex connectors, or spending the money for htem to be overnighted, lol. Also, the color coding between the molexes and fan tails are the same correct?

Yellow on the molex is 12 volts.The red or orange is the 5volt.
It would be a good idea to read this sticky to help understand what OSUmaxx is refering to.I would recommend you think about a fan controller to run your case fans. THE FANMAN:cool:

STICKY LINK :D

Back