• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fire and AS 5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DoubleJ8

Since AS 5 takes up to 200 thermal cycles to be fully functional, would it be possible to, put some onto the heatsink, rub it in as best you can with your finger inside a plastic bag, then, hold a few inches above a candle or lighter for a bit?

Just a thought. What do you guys think?

I wouldnt use a candle wax drips will not improve heat transfer. And you want the TIM to settle into the heatsink too. Probably not a good idea.

Want a tip?

Jiggle or wiggle the heatsink or waterblock gently a few times in the initial thermal cycles, this will drastically cut down the break in time :rolleyes:

Your not trying to cure it like clay.The particals have to settle or align themselves.This is done faster with the vibrations the HSF
gives off. Its also affected by the heating and cooling of the TIM.
This is accomplished by turning the rig off and letting it cool off.
Thermal cycles I believe is what they call it. THE FANMAN:cool:

DoubleJ8 said:
if you light a candle and then hold the HS OVER the candle, no wax, no wick would get on the HS.

The smoke would, though.

I think that it has more to do with the particals getting properly alined so that they are closer together. And thus conduct heat better

DoubleJ8 said:
if you light a candle and then hold the HS OVER the candle, no wax, no wick would get on the HS.

when wax burns, theres carbon being released...and then getting on the tim, why do u think old wax lanterns have all that soot on the inside? btw i meant soot, not wax and wick

I don't think that is from the wax burning. I'm pretty sure the wax is there just to hold the wic and prevent it from all igniting at once, so it can burn longer. Plust that soot is just carbon build up, which is always caused by fire, not burning wax. And what wax lanterns are you talking about? The only old lanters i can think of used old......

Methinks you are confused, Biznatch. Next time you burn a candle, hold a spoon (anything metal, really) above the yellow flame in order to see the carbon accumulation first hand. The other folk in this thread are quite correct when they claim that it is the wax (or rather, the melted wax and its fumes) that burn in a candle... the wick simply serves as a wick ( :eh?: ) to draw the melted wax up to the flame allowing the candle to burn in a controlled fashion.

DoubleJ8 said:
Since AS 5 takes up to 200 thermal cycles to be fully functional, would it be possible to, put some onto the heatsink, rub it in as best you can with your finger inside a plastic bag, then, hold a few inches above a candle or lighter for a bit?

Just a thought. What do you guys think?

PS it will take up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles for Arctic Silver 5 to settle, its not 200 Thermal cycles ;)

if jiggeling it helps, would attatching some sort of weight to a fin on the fan also cut the time? just a thought.

Como said:
if jiggeling it helps, would attatching some sort of weight to a fin on the fan also cut the time? just a thought.

probably not it would probabl;y just make the fan vibrate like mad then expload

Candle method will contaminate the AS5. Wax will go off as vapor as well. and the wick's smoke too will contaminate => not good.

If you want heat, just oc it + fold or play games.

tada. :D

Back