• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

penny for your thoughts ;)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valk

Just out of shere bordom on my ONE DAY OFF FROM WORK IN TWO FREGGEN WEEKS! <_<......
I thought why not get some sandpaper, some actic alumina epoxy* or solder weld and a butane torch*, some aluminum take out containers; and make memory heatsinks XD i havent done anything yet, but what do you guys think?

the penny is big enough for the micro bga dia size, and its pure copper. i could sand it down on both sides of the engravments, leaving a slug about a mm thick. the take out containers are made of anodized aluminum and are ..... oh, by rough guestimation, .1 of a mm thick. I braught home 10 which yeilds about... 30cm square of working material each.

this is easy to cut and easy to shape. now, mounting the fins to the base... should i do this with arctic epoxy, a VERY small amount would be needed for the 1-2 mm base, which is folded to secure to the penny, or should i use solder weld and perhaps, bake the little sinks with my oven?

these wont perform as well as machined sinks, but they would be better than nothing me thinks. cheap to make easy to make and fun, which is the underlying point. what do you think guys?

oh, ****. this isnt supposed to be in water cooling! moderator, please move this to general cooling <_<

Personally I think it could go in Alternative Modding but since you're modding a cooling unit "Cooling"s good too. Also, modern pennies are made out of plastic, or gortex, or old tires or whatever but it sure isn't copper anymore. If you want a copper penny you need to get some really old coins for that.

1979 old enough? canadian money isnt as *high tech* as most other money. i mean, our toonies are probably the most sophisticated coin we have. its a aluminum ring with a ...... somthing that looks brass pounded into the middle of it.

its funny though. me making computer parts out of a penny is actully highly illegal. modifying or destroying money is a criminal offense.
oh well. a penny doesnt buy anything these days. so might as well find use for it.

canadian pennies, even 2003 minted pennies are still made of copper. i have a 2003 mint that has pretty good oxidization on it. i dont know of another metal used in money other than brass that would do this.

American Pennies are copper laced, with a bronze or zinc material in the center. They're like .001% copper. And modern money, it looks copper on the outside, but the center is some other metal. Try getting one and cutting it in half and looking for yourself.

I would go to a hardware store and find a solid copper pipe, and find some way of slicing some penny size slices. If you wanna do **** like that.. just too expensive, and not worth the hassle. Go buy a nice silver plated ram-sink for $5.

-Frank

well. im not talking about american anything here, but i can cut one of these pennies open and find out for sure if i have to.

flower1.jpg

flower2.jpg

some quick concept art. I have a bunch of pennies from 1972 that are ALL copper. the 2003 ones MIGHT be alloy but i dont belive the canadian mint would cheap out like that. they go through all the trouble to get monumental engravings every year, i think they use real metal for them.

and yes, i know that the $14 ram sinks *for 4* will perform better, but meh, something to do.

I've used copper pipe endcaps before.

Just lap the bottom and slit the side a few times to let air flow through. Worked pretty well for videocard ram too. If you want you could solder something into the center to increase the surface area more.

The second design should work better. The fins don't obstruct airflow as much.

I've also noticed that some copper looking coins are actually alu with coated copper. I use these for sinks as well.

this should help. that site gave me the idea of using pennies as a base, and for the "fins" i'm
going to silver solder some thick copper wire to the penny. i'll coil it from
the center out. then coil it around something to spiral away from the ram/penny.
i think it will be quite a performer. too bad i don't have a card that requires
that much cooling yet :-/.

c_h

[edit for grammar]

Last edited:
Back