• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Automatic Fan Speed Control..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ttfrog

How many of you here use the auto fan speed control that comes with some fans (TT SF2... Enermax Adjustables... etc , etc.) I'm thinking about using it, since it should quiet down my comp considerably when just doing schoolwork or whatnot. I've quieted down some by removing the fangrills, but, still not where I want it to be, so I just want to know if anybody has or is using this option for their fan. Also, is there apossibility that this will affect my OC?

The problem with quiet is heat.There will be a trade off.To make air is to make noise. Cut one and see.:D lol .I prefer to have control over my fans speed.I thought about the auto temp fans and later dissmissed them for complete control over my fan speeds.THE FANMAN:cool:

I use a program called SpeedFan to control my fan speeds. The nice thing about this is it can control my fans based on the CPU temperature, rather than some thermal sensor mounted on the fan. I also don't want a bunch of nobs sticking out of my case if I can do it in software.

I have had a problem with it is using my tornado fan. The program tends to change the speed of it a lot because of the high CFM. Also, this program can't control the fan speeds while the system is booting.

I turned off the fan controller on my motherboard because it was letting my CPU run almost 12 degrees warmer then it did when it was off. Wasn't worth the tradeoff in my opinion because the change in sound was rather minimal.

I use the manual controller on my SFII because the autocontrol does not kick into high until 55C. I just turn it up as far as I can tolerate (about 90%).

*shudders* i have a pyamid, i despise it. cant use it with older fans, i've not tried it with any nivcer fans, i dont have any. but any "sleeveless ball bearing" fans have a god awful buzz noise come from them at all times iwht the pyramid. not to mention the lights...just my exp.

could it be possible the fans are not designed to run at lower voltages?
i've only tried it with brushless fans and hydrowave bearing fans and haven't had any problems yet..

i dont know, all of my fans are generic no name 80's, came out of old AT PSU's, and i have 2 antec 80MM's, that are loud anyway...but every fan i've tried (over 15), and even the 92's, buzz. they also work dine with no noise at 7V, or 5V. i think the controlelr just cuts the power a % of the time to allot for the slower speeds...(e.g. the fan gets power in a ^^^^^ pattern, 12V, 0V, 12V, 0V, so many times a second, less times for slower speed), that woudl explain the buzzing for me. i dont like it, its louder than the fans....i messed with it earlyer, at full speed the fans sound normal, at room temp (20C, i think..maybe 18) they are at least twice as loud.

then you'll want a knobby fan controller, i'd assume. i've seen some nice ones for around $20...but say your computer gains 10C because you told it to do something in the middle of the night...and you arent there to turn up the fans....something that bothers me.

Back