• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4P800 bad bios flash?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skab

Updated my bios using the asus update, everything seemed alright, browsed internet for awhile shut off and restarted, but it won't!!! Nothing happens no video, no post, fans all fire and everything else works fine when tested in a different board. Any ideas? Does this sound like a bios problem.

skab said:
Updated my bios using the asus update, everything seemed alright, browsed internet for awhile shut off and restarted, but it won't!!! Nothing happens no video, no post, fans all fire and everything else works fine when tested in a different board. Any ideas? Does this sound like a bios problem.

actually, you're supposed to use Afudos under dos to flash your bios.
try to flash it again under dos.

Already done three times including removing battery, unplugging psu, shorting jumpers all at the same time, still no go. I've gotta backup bios but can't get to the point to install it. Ordered new one from BIOS World, hope they get it right.

Now don't say that, I've already ordered a new bios chip. Of course being the eternal optimist I also ordered a new Abit VI-7 motherboard. Ordered both overnight so one way or the other I'll be back up and crunching by tommorrow PM.

What is the best way to update the bios. I have just been using Asus Update. Seems to work well. I like the fact that it is all automated. All I have to do is in Windows, run the program it says downloading bios, flashing bios, and then reboot and I am all done and good to go.

Yea, I've been using that on my other Asus board and it works great!! BUT that's what I used this time on my P4P800 and I'm realy hoping it's what caused the problem. I just did my P4P266 board last night with the latest beta BIOS and it worked just fine. Actualy using the same harddrive and update program that screwed up my other board.

Capt Fiero said:
What is the best way to update the bios. I have just been using Asus Update. Seems to work well. I like the fact that it is all automated. All I have to do is in Windows, run the program it says downloading bios, flashing bios, and then reboot and I am all done and good to go.

According to Asus you're supposed to update the bios under dos with AFUDOS.EXE (it's on their website).

Understand what you're saying NiTCOM but with the motherboard software on the newer boards they give you a bios upsate that runs in windows and even have a bios saver option on the drivers cd. We're not using AFUDOS.EXE, this way if the flash doesn't go thru your already booted and can reflash to the original. Also a lot of newer comps don't have floppy's so your scewed if you can't flash in windows. Not realy sure my problem is the bios but will post when my new bios chip gets here if that was the problem or not. Seems like some of the p4p800 boards are just crapping out.

From what i read previously the 1014 BIOS said to use the ASUS AFUDOS v2.07 to update. Not the ezflash live update.....but now i read that it says if you have the current Live update, 1014 will load in windows ok. Don't take my word for it though.

I uninstalled the ASUS update program after several lockups during it's program execution. It is a very uncomfortble feeling seeing it lock up half way through a supposedly bios flash. The ONLY thing it ever updated successfully was itself.:D
I like using the AFUDOS system due to the fact I also have a copy of the bios on a readily accessible disk in case of trouble. I keep the disks for each bios upgrade and the previous one on hand in case of any snafus. I have had to clear CMOS and reload, and now that I think of it it might've been the result of ASUS update lockup.
I play it safe and do it the old fashioned way!:cool:

Well I'll find out Tuesday when I get my new board, same board just brand new so I'll install and do a hot flash on this bios chip and see whats what.

afudos is a safer way to flash your bios...and if you have to flash your bios in windows, dont forget to set the processor and ram to default speed....

Finally got my new bios chip from Bios World, they were supposed to ship it last week but said they got a bad batch of chips so did'nt get it sent till this week. Good news is it fixed the problem, soooo if your video quits shortly after flashing your bios on the P4P800 good very easily be the bios corrupted.

I only used asus update and never had a problem. Make sure to reset bios to defaults and disable hyper-threading prior. I actually used asus update to go from 1009-1010-1008-1010 in a 4-5 hour stretch doing benches in between with not so much as even a hiccup.

Well I just updated to 1012. (have to go to www.asus.com to get it, as it wont show up in Asus Update) I used Asus Update to update from from once I downloaded it. It seemed to work. Fine.

Oh just a side note. I had made a few comments about this board being glitchy and giving me problems with my 120gig Maxtor SATA drive. While I was researching what the BIOS changes were. It seems that the bios that this board is shipped with. Has a major problem with guess what, but a 120gig Maxtor SATA drive. So that is why I was having problems. It was fixed in 1010 version.

Last edited:
Back