• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron at 240FSB. How?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MRip

The front page email from the guy who got his Opteron 144 to 240fsb has gotten me all excited, and also a little confused. I am not familiar with how the Opteron handles memory, but how can you get an Opteron to 240fsb when the fastest registered memory I can find is pc3200? What am I missing? Anyway, once this board becomes available I think I might sell my XP rig and go Opteron.

It looks to me like he's using Mushkin Black lvl2 pc3500, and he pumped 3.6V through it. I don't know if I'm that extreme...

This is all well and good, but. I'm wondering how to get an Opteron, with registered memory, the fastest available being pc3200, to 240FSB? Anybody?

Yes, PC4200 does 266 at default but he's asking about PC3200 and PC3200 brand will determine how well it overclocks.

You do 240 FSB with a PC3200 by finding out which brand of PC3200 can overclock that high. That's all there is to it assuming your mobo is actually PCI locked or has a /7 divider because if the mobo is not PCI locked and only has a /6 divider,

that's 240 / 6 = 40 -- and that's way too far out of specs of 33 -- you may corrupt your hard drives etc...

Silent Buddha said:

I thought it was a rule to avoid any ratio other than 1:1 like the plague on AMD rigs...

this is only true for the socket A rigs. The new Athlons have totaly new memory system. its more similar to the P4s and on P4s memory dividers work pretty well

Back