• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Papst 80x80x38 fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blkgti

CF-172.jpg

I received two of these today. I'm planning on using them as the top exhaust fans in a Lian-Li PC-75 once all the parts for the install get here. I did hook them up to the rear Molex plug on an Antec TC550 to test them out. They're relatively quiet, but not overly so, and they develop enough rotational torque to forcefully wiggle in my hand while I was holding them. I don't recommend them as CPU fans, though, as their metal construction makes them weigh about a pound (!) a piece.

Those are excellent fans, German engineering at it's finest, the weight shouldnt be an issue if the heatsink bolts to the motherboard. In your case the SLK-900U bolts to the mobo and shouldnt be an issue using this fan.

Silversinksam said:
Those are excellent fans, German engineering at it's finest, the weight shouldnt be an issue if the heatsink bolts to the motherboard. In your case the SLK-900U bolts to the mobo and shouldnt be an issue using this fan.

Unfortunately, mine is a 900A, but I'm planning on trying it as a CPU fan anyway. I also have the 92mm version of the same fan. As a CPU fan, its performance is about equal to a (92mm) Panaflo U1A.

Namagomi said:
any official CFM/dB ratings? That looks like my kind of beast.

IIRC, it's ~40cfm @ ~36dBA. That said, IME, CFM/dBA ratings are almost never indicative of the fan's actual performance.

crimedog said:
just a large "dead spot"

The dead spot makes no difference when the fans are used for case exhaust. As I mentioned in another post, I also have a 92mm version of the same fan, including the huge spindle area, and its cooling performance is on par with a Panaflo with a much smaller spindle area and a higher CFM rating. It's fun to speculate, but nothing beats actually trying a product in one's system.

Silversinksam said:

I'm not worried about the weight, as I've already got plenty more than that hanging off the end of my board. I was thinking about using this fan as the CPU fan on my server, which uses an 8045, so the point stands.

CF-170.jpg

I also picked-up one of these just for fun, as I have no idea what I'll use it for. Lemmee tell ya, you haven't lived until you've heard a fan spinning at over 10,000rpm ;-)

Silversinksam said:

Heres a counter rotating 10,500rpm 50mm x 40mm fan

Counter rotating? Now that's really cool! How noisy is it? The Denki sounds like a swarm of beeeezzzzzz.

The dead spot makes no difference when the fans are used for case exhaust. As I mentioned in another post, I also have a 92mm version of the same fan, including the huge spindle area, and its cooling performance is on par with a Panaflo with a much smaller spindle area and a higher CFM rating. It's fun to speculate, but nothing beats actually trying a product in one's system.

I meant as a cpu heatsink fan, since that's one of the things being discussed (and the only relevant point of a dead spot)

crimedog said:
I meant as a cpu heatsink fan, since that's one of the things being discussed (and the only relevant point of a dead spot)

My apologies for the misunderstanding; sometimes it's difficult to tell what's being referred to without quoted text. As I mentioned in the passage you included in your last post, the large spindle are (ie. dead spot) is a non-issue, at least when comparing a 92mm fan of the same type with a Panaflo.

blkgti said:

Counter rotating? Now that's really cool! How noisy is it? The Denki sounds like a swarm of beeeezzzzzz.

It's not quiet :)

At 6-8 volts its tolerable, at 4-5 volts (6000rpm or so) its quiet and does a good job.

chasingapple said:
Nice fans mate. I like the purdy lightup fans myself for moving air in and out of the case :)

I like colored fans, too. For a time I had 5 80mm blue LED case fans and a blue LED 92mm HSF. Ultimately, I felt that their cooling to noise ratio could be bettered and pursued other solutions, while implementing more controlled lighting into the case.

The effects of lighting on fans is pretty kool,but a little distracting.
LED and other low heat lites are a better option, IMHO.Its easier to focus beams of color on components.As for the top line fans they dont need any eye candy to sell thier quality.THE FANMAN:cool:

PS: I'm 1 to talk...Look at my Avatar!!!!:p

archilochus said:
The effects of lighting on fans is pretty kool,but a little distracting.
LED and other low heat lites are a better option, IMHO.Its easier to focus beams of color on components.As for the top line fans they dont need any eye candy to sell thier quality.THE FANMAN:cool:

PS: I'm 1 to talk...Look at my Avatar!!!!:p

LOL, yes I would imagine you are the LED GUY!

Back