• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK-900A - will it break my mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hobogloves

Registered
SLK-900A - is it TOO heavy?

Hello, I am getting a ABIT NF7-S to go with my unlocked Barton 2500+. I am just wondering, is an SLK-900A too heavy? Anyone have any bad experiences with this heatsink? I don't want it to break my motherboard... will an nf7-s hold up okay? How about if I move it around and say go to a LAN... is it stable? Just wanting some input from people who have an nf7 board with this heatsink. I can get this heatsink on sale for like $40 (Canadian) until december 23. I know it is one of the best heatsinks for overclocking (which I want) and can support 92mm fans which is sweet, but I really don't want to bust my mobo :(
Thanks for any input.

I've had one mounted on my 8K3A+ for several weeks now. It is working well.

I don't go to LAN parties though.

Re: SLK-900A - is it TOO heavy?

hobogloves said:
Just wanting some input from people who have an nf7 board with this heatsink. I can get this heatsink on sale for like $40 (Canadian) until december 23. I know it is one of the best heatsinks for overclocking (which I want) and can support 92mm fans which is sweet, but I really don't want to bust my mobo :(
Thanks for any input.

I have a NF7 and an SLK-900A. Admittedly, I don't move my case around much; no trips to LAN's, etc. With this in mind, I've seen no visible signs of stress on the mobo and the CPU socket. I recently changed CPU's, too, and took a close look at the mobo for exactly this kind of damage. The SLK-900a lowered the temps by ~5C over the SK-7. I just ordered a SP-97; it'll be interesting to see how it compares.

It won't bust your motherboard under normal use. I've been using an SLK800 A for a while on an NF7-S with no problems. The 900 is only slightly heavier. It should be alright for Lan use, but I would transport the case on its side so there is less stress on the clip.

If you plan on moving your rig often to lan parties or just around the house I recommend the slk900U model. It bolts onto the mobo so you dont have to worry about the tabs on the CPU socket breaking. The downside to this is you have to remove the mobo to mount/remove the HS. If you dont want to deal with a bolt on HS and you are going to be moving your rig make sure it is laying down so the HSF is not "hanging" or take the time to remove the HSF. It only takes a few minutes to unhook the thing and another couple mins to apply AS3 or 5 and then the HSF. As for your question about will it break your NF7s I have a slk900a w/ a 80mm tornado on mine right now and its solid as can be. I don't move my rig around to often though so that is not a issue with me.

Id be interested in knowing if anyone has actually broken a socket off their mobo. I had a old 486 and i reefed on the socket...prolly the equivilant of a 10 pound heatsink(guess) and it held ...just flexed a bit.

Thanks for the comments guys... yeah, has anyone actually had a heatsink that has busted their mobo before? Also, I'm wondering what kind of temperature decrease I could expect going from the stock HSF to the SLK-900A and some sort of 80 or 92mm fan (approximately like 35dB's at most... no Tornado to keep me up at night thanks 55dB haha)

I posted this once before.

Right now I'm using an SLK900A, with this 92 MM fan and Artic Silver 5.

This combination has a reasonable noise level, and has allowed me to bump my XP1700 to 2.3 GHz. 1.9 volts, and it still only hits 50C while running Folding At Home.

Unfortunately they are out of stock on the 900A and the small tube of AS5, but I'm sure they'll be getting both soon.

That fan is 1 DB above your specified limit.

my cuz has a slk800 which is heavier then the 900a, and he ships his case to his school and back every semester through the mail, he told me he'll find some fans (which are attached by case clips) fall off sometimes, but the heatsink is never affected.
you should expect on hell of a decrease in temperature from stock. expectually if u use AS5 like repoman recommended

Re: Re: SLK-900A - is it TOO heavy?

blkgti said:

The SLK-900a lowered the temps by ~5C over the SK-7. I just ordered a SP-97; it'll be interesting to see how it compares.

I have an SLK-900u that replaced an SK-7. I am interested in the SP-97. Please let us know how it performs.

Thanks

Back