• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vantec tornado 92mm uncontrollable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vincent_1985

I have a aerogate coolermaster 2 and i can't seem to turn down the speed.

it's hooked up properly like i can read the fan speed it jsut doesn't tune up or down is this beats untamable or am i doing something wrong?

all other fans were controllable except this.

Hmm... no fan is untamable because all the controlled does is effectively change resistance. Are you sure you have it hooked up properly? I'm not familiar with the aerogate unit.

You might check too see if it will run on any of the other channels on your controller... But I wouldn't try more than one of the ones that worked- the fan takes a little more power than most and it could be messing up your controller- So don't try every single one, you might also just wanna check that one channel with a differnt fan.

Like OSUmaxx said it's not untameable, your fan controller might just not be doing the job (or you may not ahve it hooked up properly but you will have to check that for your self... Doesn't hurt to double or even tripple check, people make mistakes.

It sounds like you plugged the power molex to one of the pwersupply plugs and then plugged the RPM monitor plug to the controller.

If the 4-pin connector from the fan is plugged into the powersupply harness then it wont adjust.
Youll need to get an adapter to plug it together properly to the controller. So that the controller is the fans power source.
Be careful for the rated amperage of the controller.

If the fans power IS coming through the controller then there is a problem with the controller.

Hope this helps

Wardog

me hopes....

I hope your aerogate isn't busted.... and that it is powerful enough...

OSUmaxx said:
Hmm... no fan is untamable because all the controlled does is effectively change resistance. Are you sure you have it hooked up properly? I'm not familiar with the aerogate unit.

What he said. The famous equation V= IR. Crank up the resistance and you get less voltage. I would double check that if you hooked it up correctly. Most likely one of the connections is not right.

I thought most fan controllers had voltage regulators so that they are a little more than just a $1 rheostat on a drive panel that comes with your case anyway.

Also, fans don't have a constant resistance. You give them less voltage, and they will give back a different resistence.

I'm not surprised. My Aerogate 2 failed to impress me, and has twice required a "reboot" of the Aerogate itself, because it became unresponsive to input controls. I was also irritated by the implied functionality that he device doesn't actually have. I tried to warn people, but there is no forum that allows you to provide specific product feedback. It ended up in the "vendor" section.

wardog50 said:
It sounds like you plugged the power molex to one of the pwersupply plugs and then plugged the RPM monitor plug to the controller.

If the 4-pin connector from the fan is plugged into the powersupply harness then it wont adjust.
Youll need to get an adapter to plug it together properly to the controller. So that the controller is the fans power source.
Be careful for the rated amperage of the controller.

If the fans power IS coming through the controller then there is a problem with the controller.

Hope this helps

Wardog

Sounds like Wardog hit the nail on the head, the tornado takes power from a 4 pin Molex whereas the Aerogate only accepts 3 pin fans, there are 4 pin to 3 pin convertors out there which will make it easy to control but you will then loose RPM monitoring as the RPM monitor is on a separate 3 pin cable.

why not just cut the leads off and put a 3 pin with the monitoring cable included on to it? Or if you don't have the crimpers you could just cut the 3 pin connector off a fan that was dead and sodier it on to the tornato?

Back