• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pasive cool an tbrird?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eab

I am trying to put together a server and I have an old amd tbrid 1.3ghz. is there away to passive cool it. The quiter it is the better. Would just the stock heatsink (no fan) from an amd xp1800 be enough cooling?

As far as I know there is no real way to passivly cool any newer processor. Since the pentium 2's you were not really able to passivly cool a processor. Because of the amount of transistors in that processor and how small they are they create a large amount of heat. Passivly cooling is not a good idea. All though if you are not doing any overclocking you can get away with a larger aluminum heatsink and just a lower rpm fan, like an 89mm 2500 rpm fan to cool it. Thats usually pretty quiet and as long as you dont have millions of case fans the case should dissapate the sound from that fan. You mght get tempatures of 50-60 deggrees under load but that is acceptable dispite what people may say. An AMD processor is rated to run at 92 deggrees celcius. All though that is WAY to high 60 deggrees is not. Currently my system runs at 57 under load and I have the exact same processor you have and its over clocked heavily. Its also rock solid and I can do complete programming and computer animation and gaming with it for hours and hours on end. So far I can decode a video for days straight without any errors. You should be fine with that and its quiet too.

I actually tried that once with a tbird 1.3 at stock speed and vcore and a high-buck Swiftech MC462. With four fast case fans, two pair push-pull, I could surf the net, do emails, word process, y'know, whimpy stuff, without a fan on the heatsink and halt-on-idle enabled. As soon as I tried to do something more processor intense, it became warmer than I was comfortable with letting it become.

Hoot

well you can run it sort of passive but not completely. I mean you can use a low RPM fan run it at 5v and it can push some air thro the HS, trust me you wont hear a thing when you close the case. I think you can only hear the HD spin and thats the annoying part. Having a fan running like that really helps, you wont be able to notice the noise diff between *total* passive and *partial* passive.

Just my .02
MameXP

You can always undervolt the cpu. The best way I could think of is trying to do what Dell does. Have the back fan blowing into the case and duct the air direction to the HS. You probably want something powerful. Since you want the noise level to be low I would recommend using 120 mm fans for this configuration.

Back