• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright Heatsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Como

Hey, i've recently started to work on building a new computer. i'm pretty much set on a thermalright H-S, but i cant decide which one...

A-lot of people around here seem to like the 800U and 7K or something...i was just wondering which was the best?

i really wanted the SP-97, but i cant seem to find it, and its most likely out of my price range. Anyways, i've been looking primarily at the ones which use the 4 holes to mount, i assume they are easyer to install.
However, performance is good. i've been looking at the SLK-947U...its cheap and seems to be good. which is the best out of the 800U, 900U, and the SLK-947U? (Socket A), and are there any other alternatives that are just as good, if not better, in the same general price range? (under or around $45 US)

Como said:
Anyways, i've been looking primarily at the ones which use the 4 holes to mount, i assume they are easyer to install.

Not necessarily. You must have a board that has the holes and you must take the motherboard out of the case to install.

If you have a P4 you take out the black fan thing on the mobo and the holes are there

an amd board is differnt look and see if your board has the holes if it does your good

You can get the SP-97 here. If you can afford it, it is probably the best choice for air-cooling an AMD. However, the 947U is also a very good choice. Make sure to get a good fan to go with that heatsink.

The 4 bolt thing makes it more secure, and you'll get a better contact with a bolt on HS usually (at least I do). Also, the Thermalright HS from best to not as great go: SP97, 947U, 900U, 800, 700..

alright, i'll get the sp-97, its not bad, i'll just wait a few more weeks. i am gettign a board with the holes, and once its on i'll never be taking the heatsink off again, so i dont think it will be an issue...my biggest fear is i might crack the die...that would be a bad thing.

what fans do you guys reccomend? i mostly want quiet. and i mean quiet...i wont oc to the point where i have to up the voltage because i need quiet...i';m thinking a smartfan. i have a smartpowe PSU, (i think that spins the fans slower if its cooler...i think...) and basically the computer wont be doing anything when not in use...untill i get something for it to do that doesnt require internet (which is why i wont be folding)

thanks guys, i'm really impressed with the reviews i read on the SP-97, but i couldnt find one at the point i wrote this...if i knew it would be under $60 i never would have asked! THANKS!

I don't know how easily available they are in the U.S. but I'd look for a
92mm panoflo L1BX,
which according to Dorothy , whom I have no reason to doubt , and whose word I'll take as I'm too lazy to dig out the manufacturers specs, it'll run 43CFM at 12v (at 0 static pressure mind you).

Como said:
i wont oc to the point where i have to up the voltage because i need quiet...i';m thinking a smartfan.

If you need quiet, don't get the smartfan2.

heh, what i meant by "smart" fan, is a fan that would slow down/speed up according to the temp of the heatsink...is that panaflo "smart" ?

If you need quiet, don't get the smartfan2.

The SF2 can be set for quiet operation. Then, if you want to turn it up for OC'ing, you have that opinion. It doesnt really matter to me though, since I have mine running full blast all the time :D

thats what i fear, if i had a manual fan i'd end up having it up all the way all the time, too. i'll most likely end up gedtting the sp-97, i always liked the aluminum, but i'd rather anger my brother and get copper (you dont even know, he will flip)

so this mini ace has the temp/rpm thing? (SANYO DENKI "MINI ACE" 92mm)

i wanna stick with the heatpipe, i read its the best performing out yet, and its not too far out of my budget...now i just have to find the processor that isnt available anymore...

3 good options for fans are the 80mm Smart Fan II, the enermax 92mm adjustable, and the Panaflo 92mm. The Panaflo comes in three speeds, I recommend the high speed with rpm sensor, available from Sidewindercomputers.com. The SFII actually keeps mine cooler though it is a little louder.

CalsonicGTR said:

The SF2 can be set for quiet operation. Then, if you want to turn it up for OC'ing, you have that opinion.

IME, when the SF2 is set to operate very quietly, it doesn't cool very effectively even in a non-critical situations. At any setting above that, the SF2's highly annoying whine is audible, at least to my ears. Hell, YS-Tech and Enermax both make adjustable fans that don't have the SF2's grating sound quality and perform just about as well (in my system). Plus, both of these fans have considerably longer leads attached to their pots, making mounting much easier; the YS-Tech's lead is long enough to reach the front panel of the case with ease. Given these factors, I see no reason to choose the SF2 under any condition.

Back