• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4C800-E OC failure, any ideas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

confused

I had a stable overclock at 3.124 @ 260 FSB on my board (not bad but not that great) i was happy, things were great, life was good. It was fine for a month, then catastrophy happened, i had the system running along, i shut it off, decided that i had forgetten something, turned my rig back on and got that evil chicks voice "system failed due to CPU overclock"

try as i might i can no longer get even a 100 MHz OC, :bang head im wondering what i could be.

here is what i did.
I did burn in the board and CPU previous to overclocking (1.85 vcore 24hrs straight of Prime95)

See my sig for stuff i have. Im stuck right now, i dont have a spare board or CPU to check whether its the current board or CPU that is the problem. I will be buying new components after i get done with school to check that out.

thanks
confused

confused said:
did burn in the board and CPU previous to overclocking (1.85 vcore 24hrs straight of Prime95)[/B]

That sounds like your problem right there...you may have possibly fatally injured your CPU by running it @ 1.85v. That it ran for 6 months and then pooped out certainly sounds like SNDS (sudden northwood death syndrome).

Are you telling me that i have to "break in" my board? Whats this burn in period all about?

Its called burning in your cpu, some people have had good results with running their cpus at a low fsb, high voltage, it can help you get a few extra mhz out of your cpu...anyway i dont think that if he had it stable for a month, it would just die...

Twigs,

I was 100% Prime95 and Toast stable with setup at 260 MHz FSB, I will never burn in any chip i buy from now on.

Hopefully christmas yields a 2.6C and some IDE ATA to SATA adapters

Then start all over again.:santa2:

Last edited:
skab,

if my CPU did suffer from SNDS wouldnt it have just died and not be able to run at its stock speed ? Or is it possible i just messed the dielectric up enough so that it can no longer take the faster switching ?

so many questions

what was your vcore set to 24/7 at 260FSB? Have you considered you RAM may be the culprit? if you have the resources test the CPU in another Rig as well as trying a different CPU in yours.

gruvin2,

Vcore was set at 1.575 but hovered between 1.6 and 1.55 i have all the readings saved on the Asus Probe so i have some history there.

I wish i had the reasources to test the RAM and CPU in another rig but i dont (right now)

The RAM i ran at 2.85 V, but in my defense, that seems to be the standard for the Corsair DDR500 modules when running on a 1:1 setup at high FSB speeds 250MHz+ so the RAM was OC'd but not much.

I have to admit i'm stumped myself. Possibly whne you have the vcore up at 1.85 it did some permenant damage to the CPU, but thats more a guess really. If anyone else can shed some light please do.

Did you have 1.85v in the bios? or in windows? What was your voltage under load? And what are your temps? I've had chips before at 1.85v with watercooling and never had a problem... maybe it something else. If course if you were air cooling and had load temps of over 50C then damage may have happened.

I'm sorry to say this, but it does sound as though you damaged your chip. I actually spent an afternoon reading through that mammoth S.N.D.S. thread, and what you are experiencing sounds exactly what happened to so many others' P4s.

First off, 1.85v is increadibly dangerous for a P4, even if you only run the chip at that voltage for a few minutes. At that high of a voltage, it doesn't take much time at all to wreck a P4. Personally, I rufuse to run a P4 any higher than 1.725v (actual), and even that is bordering on dangerous. I'm not trying to lecture you or anything; I read those burn-in guides too: lower the cpu frequency and increase the voltage a bit higher than you would normally run at, and then run prime95 ect..... What these guides don't take into account is that some P4s are susseptable to SNDS, which is a huge problem if you're not aware of SNDS.

As for why your chip is still alive and capable of running at default speed... I don't know.... but that's what a lot of people have reported in the SNDS thread. In the SNDS thread, there's basically three different kinds of chips that have been reported by the numerous posters:

a) Chips that run fine at high voltages for a few months, and then start crashing at overclocked speeds. These chips continue to degrade to the point where they simply die.

b) Chips that are indentical to those mentioned above, only instread of dying, they will run fine at default or underclocked speeds.

c) Chips that run fine at high voltages for a few months, and then just plain out die, out of the blue one day.

Hopefully I'm wrong about your chip. But if you read through the SNDS thread, I'm afraid you'll find that what I have said is probable.

Tio,

Thats what i thought also (bummer), if my truck hadnt taken a @#$% yesterday i was thinkin about getting a 2.6C and learning from this lesson allbeit a painful one

I will beable to check my RAM out though, got a new rig to build for a guy.

Thanks again everyone for their help and responses,
confused

Last edited:
Back