• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Ram choices for Ocing Need Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

daNo-

Ok soon (this weekend) im going to buy my parts for a new rig that ill be ocing.. itll look like this:

Abit nf7-s 2.0
barton 2500 (confirmed unlocked) w/ slk 900 and ttsmartfan 2
Thermaltake PSU (?)

and im not sure which ram i should get...

These are my best choices from where i live:

CORSAIR
DDR 512 MB PC 3200 TWINX PACK

or

256 DDR /400 PC3200 32x8 Winbond CL2.5 BUFFALO

or

Kingston hyperx pc3200 (ill see if its bh5) or pc3000

What chip do you guys suggest for a nice oc :D

Seeing that you are getting AMD, it is key to get good RAM to get decent overclocks. Anything with BH5 will help your system alot. Kingston HyperX 3200 Non-A comes with BH5 (although the supply might run out at any time) and is only $125 to get two of those sticks (Dual channel kits are on back-order).

Thx for your response calsonic, but like i said i cannot order from the us or canada due to that they mostly don't ship internationally.

I live in Chile , i could order if i look heavily on a store that ships internationally or accepts international credit cards but i also found out that here they have about 10 unlocked barton chips :D and ill get my hand on one this weekend. I just need good ram -_- anybody know if that buffalo and corsair ram are bh5 ?

Corsair XMS PC-3500 should use Winbond BH-5 chips. Kingston Hyper-X PC3200 (non-A) and PC3000 should use Winbond BH-5 chips. Most older Buffalo PC3700 should use Winbond BH-5 chips, but be sure to check that it's not using Micron chips (it should be either one or the other).

Buffalo and Corsair used to offer BH5 in all their RAM, but it is hard to find these days. Buffalo 3700 and 3200 used to come with BH5, but recently was changed to Micron chips. Corsair changed over to CH5 quite awhile ago, but some say that the 3500 can still be found with BH5. However, I dont know if the products you se in CHile are as recent as the ones on sale up in the States, so you might have a better chance at snagging some BH5.

If you're going with 256mb sticks I'd get the HyperX 3000. Very cheap, and some of the best results I've seen have come from this stuff. I'd pass on the Corsair 3200 or Buffalo 3200 if hardcore oc is important to you. The HyperX 3200 (non-A) is very good as well, but pretty pricey. In 512MB sticks I recommend paying the premium the 3200 carries, but the 256MB 3000's seem very talented on the whole. The stock on 256mb sticks tends to be older, but you may be lucky enough to get old examples of either. Older BH5 ram is generally better, although any is usually good enough.

Ill check out this weekend if the kingston 3200 is the non-A and bh5 and the buffalo as well... if not ill just go for the kingston pc3000..

PS: How do i check if it has winbond bh5 etc.. (in the chip)???

Back