• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Removing Thermalpad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Onizuka

I posted this in case/power supply forum on accident. I got my comp parts today, and Im going to remove the stock thermalpad and use artic silver 5 instead. Was wondering, after I scrap the pad itself off, what should I use to remove the gunk left on. I dont have goo gone or any fancy chemicals, I got isopropyl rubbing alcohol and cutex quick and easy regular nail polish remover. Which one should I use?

Thanks!

Avoid the cutex, i managed to scrape off all the leftover TIM pad with 90% isopropyl, so i would say stick with that... Cutex has oils and other crap that you don't want left as residual on the heatsink/chip.

my alcohol is 70% will that do? I read that article but I dont have any that hardcore carbonator cleaner stuff.

Mmm hmmm its pure and clean 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Should I really freeze the heatsink.....?

You can also use lighter fluid, followed by alcohol. The lighter fluid will dissolve the pad far more quickly than plain alcohol or acetone (nail polish remover). You must however, thoroughly clean the heatsink with alcohol afterwards, or lap it.

This may help on what not to use.Info from ARCTIC SILVER .
Isopropol alcohol usualy has oils in it to keep your skin from drying out. I didn't have any luck with the Isp.Alchohol,it just
rolled the sticky stuff on the IHS.The GOO-GONE did the trick,
with a good cleaning after words with alchohol. THE FANMAN:cool:

LINK :D

Back