• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton 2500+ vs Barton 3000+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cupidr17

With the latest Bartons being locked, I just got an offer on a Barton 3000+ for xmas. My GF would pay $100 and id pay the rest (selling right now for $175 at SMK). Should I go with the 3000+ or would I be better off finding an unlocked 2500+?

I will be OCing this chip and cooling it with water on an Abit NF7-S 2.0 board with 1gb or 512mb of Corsair XMS pc3200 dual channel. What do you guys think?

IMHO the 2500 will give you the best result having a 11x muilt which means if you got a locked 2500 and only ran 200fsb you would be running 2.2 which is most likely NP @ all with a 2500. Also I would spend the 75$ on better cooling or something else.

Maybe a 2600 barton having a 11.5 muilt.

i already have a full water set up using a WW block, chevette, and eheim 1250 so i dont need extra cooling at this moment. Ive read that the average overclock on a 3000+ is around 2.5ghz and even more with watercooling.

any other opinions?

My Barton 3000+ does 2.42ghz @ 1.75v 11 x 220 easily and is an insane overclocker. Im cooling using a SLK-900A and couple tornados on a vantec nexus @ 4000rpm.

Great processor, and I suggest you get one over the 2500.

Cmon dont you know that the 2500 is the only chip anyone buys these days? I got the 3000 but I'm waiting for Santa to bring me some new cooling and we'll push her. The chip is fast as heck stock!

Saintster, thats what i figured. I was thinking "why push a chip to get insane speeds when i can buy a chip that does it at stock." So i will go with the 3000

Hey Cupid

Have you checked for 2800s. They seems to have better scores in the OCrs database...

Just got a unlocked 3000

I just got a 0331 XP3000 OEM 400fsb from mwave on thursday. If your gonna roll the dice you might want to try them. I got the 3000 up to 2.4ghz noproblem will be hooking it up to the machII hopefully this weekend (wife is holding it X-mas present) Once i get it fully cooled aqnd OC it I'll post the results

jm

I dont know why, but Ive heard that the 333 fsb 3000+ barton is faster and better than the 400 fsb 3000+ barton. Either way I have the 333fsb and it runs exelent, I have no special cooling, stright air from 8 case fans, 2 ps, 1 cpu. set at 200 x 11. If I can get better cooling, I think I can go lots higher.

I saw some benches at sharkeyexteme between the 2800 and the 3000 and it suprised me at how close they were in some benches. Im thinkin of getting the 2800 but the 3000 just sounds soo darn tasty!! =)

Any other opinions?

cupidr17 said:
Saintster, thats what i figured. I was thinking "why push a chip to get insane speeds when i can buy a chip that does it at stock." So i will go with the 3000

nuf said. At this point, why not. The 2500+ is begining to get a little bit hard to find. Ill give you the 2500+ is the best processor out there to OC. But at its max OC, my 3000+ out does it with just a nudge over the recomended specs. Once again "why push it if you dont have to."

In the end, performance is performance. Buy not what you need now, but what you might need in the future. Always get the best if you can afford it. I have no dought that it wont be long before someone figures a way to unlock the new AMD's, theres always a way, Always.

CT

Back