• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Down to a few heatsinks to decide on...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hidden Leader

Registered
I've done some research, and have found a few heatsinks that fit my needs. I was wondering, which of these you guys would recommend? They are:
Zalman CNPS7000A-CU:$42.99
Thermaltake Volcano 12$38.99
SLK 947-U$39.99 (going to put a Tornado on it if I get it so it'll probably be louder than the others)
Which one would all of you recommend? The guys over at GameFAQs couldn't make a decision...

Go with the Thermalright HS. The SP-97 would even be better for a few extra bucks.Its available at www.heatsinkfactory.com
Try not to pinch on your cooling ,it's the most important aspect of your rig other than your PSU.These are excellent quality products.
View them at: www.thermalright.com THE FANMAN:cool:

For $ 54.95 / 50 left in stock @ heatsinkfactory

EDIT::: / 49 " "

Last edited:
im gonna have to agree with archilochus again, thermalright, esp the sp 97 will win, even without a tornado on it.

I have no experience with any of the HS units on your list save the Zalman.
It can be quiet, but it is always heavy, and a mediocre HS if you plan on clocking at all.

Does look cool though...

Hidden Leader said:
SLK 947-U$39.99 (going to put a Tornado on it if I get it so it'll probably be louder than the others)

If you don't mind my asking, why do you think you need a Tornado with a HS that effective?

Which one would all of you recommend? The guys over at GameFAQs couldn't make a decision...

I'm a little confused as to why you expect others to make the decision. After all, you'll be the one using it and no one is aware of the constraints you'll be facing better than you.

If I were to choose a HS from the list you provided, it would be the SLK-947 without a second thought. That said, not knowing which CPU/hardware you'll be running, and the scope of your usage, makes it very difficult to provide an intelligent recommendation.

Re: Re: Down to a few heatsinks to decide on...

blkgti said:

If you don't mind my asking, why do you think you need a Tornado with a HS that effective?

for maxiumum cooling, there are more than a few people that do that.

blkgti said:

I'm a little confused as to why you expect others to make the decision. After all, you'll be the one using it and no one is aware of the constraints you'll be facing better than you.

If I were to choose a HS from the list you provided, it would be the SLK-947 without a second thought. That said, not knowing which CPU/hardware you'll be running, and the scope of your usage, makes it very difficult to provide an intelligent recommendation.

well, he could be looking for advise from us.... i mean i did it when i was building my computer.

Re: Re: Re: Down to a few heatsinks to decide on...

stan03 said:
for maxiumum cooling, there are more than a few people that do that.

More than a few people buy Dell's, too, but does it necessarily mean it's the best way to go? While it may be a good solution for some, it's hardly the optimum alternative for others. We're dealing with very specialized products that are designed for specific applications. Not being aware of the original poster's constraints makes most advice largely irrelevant.

well, he could be looking for advise from us.... i mean i did it when i was building my computer.

Please see above.

What mobo? Do you have the 4 holes?

Don't forget about the Alpha PAL8045. I am using one with a Vantec Thermoflow 80mm. I am seeing 44°C under full load.

I'm using an SLK-947-U and a Volcano 9 - turn it down a bit and you can still OC pretty good with low noise (I'm at 2.2 on a 2500+ with it, noise difference is negligible.)

Okay,
My specs are:
AMD Athlon XP 2800+
512 MB PC 2700 DDR DRAM
A7N8X-LA (same as A7N8X-VM)
original heatsink, 1 80mm case fan
As far as the list goes, I was asking for the guys' opinions here, and at GameFAQs. Im obviously new to overclocking, so I needed to know for myself, and haven't found a benchmark or performance analysis chart to show how these compare.
Probably going to get the SP97. Of course, before then I'll check for the mounting holes...

H L, Thats usually the first thing I do,is give a link to the heat sink
review.Here it is at the last of the 9th inning and 2 outs. It slipped
my mind completely.So here it is ! THE FANMAN:cool:

HS REVIEW LINK :p

H L ,Do us a flavor and place your rigs specs in your signature.
We can see what you have in a glance.Although some times it gets overlooked. At least you can say, see rig in sig...:D
If you mess it up, they'll let you know.You can enter it in your Edit Profile Page.Thanks,THE FANMAN:cool:

Back