• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IS7 + HyperX 3200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

camus

Registered
i knew i shouldnt have bought this combo, but i cant seem to find anyone else thats posted this situation, although it has been mentioned to me a few times. after assembling my server tower cheiftech matrix 4 times, wasting a good amount of time and blood, re-mounting the CPU and trying to install windows XP about 500,000 times, i was finally forced to swap my shiney new expensive RAM (2-2-2-6 HyperX 3200 from newegg.com late november) with pc2100 crucial value. with the hyperX i could not finish half of the first step of windows XP setup (copying files from CD) and got constant STOP errors relating to "cannot write to read only memory). :mad: :mad: :mad: mad at myself i suppose, after a bit of searching i havent found a post relating to anyone else with this (failed setup).

so before i waste more money calling kingston support (my only phone is a cell and these calls get EXPENSIVE) maybe someone can tell me what they will probably tell me:

will updating my bios help any? maybe i should try different slots for the ram? maybe it is just DOA ram? maybe theres a "magic" timing i could use to get it to work?

thanks guys i appreciate you reading this and any + or - comments i recieve.

hmm, i thought i had already replied to this... guess not...

i didnt know why it all happened... but i just opened MSN, typed my PW, and wanted to know what would happen if id try to copy paste the PW from the login window, to notepad...

it said "cant write to read only memory" so maybe windows is trying to do some weird things with PW's?

the error i'm getting is during the first step of installing Windows XP: the blue background choosing your windows folder, partition thing. i get the "tried to write to read only memory error" as a BSOD and must physically power off the PC, it happens either at that step, when files are being copied to windows setup, or when it tries to start the main windows installation (where you first see your mouse cursor). i tried 4 different cd-rom drives, i tried my own copy of windows XP pro and my brother's XP home, i tried a freshly formatted hard drive with and without a partition on it :(

i shoulda elaborated on this stuff on my previous post i guess, but when i took the hyperX out and put some old garbage ram in, everything went smooth and i'm using this computer now :( :( :(

EDIT: Jognt i'm sorry i cant answer your question too well, although i do know that most windows versions encrypt password entry boxes, so that nobody can try that out and get your password, its pretty efficient i suppose, but i wouldnt understand why it would BSOD you, that is indeed weird :)

i had bios 16, so the flash updated to 17. is that okay? and do you mean the game accelerator feilds? i did all that, still get BSOD when booting windows. thanks for your help larva!

you run a memory test?
memtest86, run it, it sounds like your memory is bad.if its not the memory its the board, but sumthing is def broke : )
later

Same thing happend to me when I had HyperX 3500 memory. It would make it past post ok, but then in trying to install XP would receive the same message you are getting. I thought originally it was a bad hard drive, but some people here told me it was my memory which it was. There is a lifetime replacement with Kingston so just get an RMA and send it back. Good Luck!

Back