• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

another locked 2500+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

space1ord

first off, I am very new to OC'ing

For the past few months I have been doing most of my research in these forums and decided to build my very first computer :D

with budget restraints this is what I purchased:
abit NF7
barton 2500+
corsair xms pc-2700 ... 11-3-3-2
fx5200 (i know i should have gone with ATI)
Antec true 430

The only change I have made is my memory and my FSB, I am currently at 11 * 190 and running prime95 at priority 10 (to see if stable) right now at home (i'm currently at work).

Here are my questions:

1. I am pretty sure I am about to hit my max overclock because of ram limitations. Will raising my cpu voltage help? Or should I try to get better timings with my RAM? (overclocking ram is not the most understandable thing in the world)

2. Any recommendations on RAM timings (I know this should probably be posted under Memory)

3. When I boot my post screen says something like memory mhz 308. Shouldn't this read something like 380?

I know I can increase my OC by purchasing pc-3200, however I currently don't have the fundage to go there.

What kind of cooling and case airflow do you have? Have you upped your vdimm yet. Default should be 2.5v and I think NF7-S can go up to 2.9v. And I am not sure but if I remember correctly Corsair PC2700 comes with BH-6 chips so you should even with tight timings get somewhere close to 210Mhz though it is not guaranteed. When you get home tonight make sure that memory is set 1:1 because it should read 380 and 308. I think you still have some headroom in that ram so just keep upping it with loose timings and when you hit instability back your fsb down and tighten the timings. Hopefully you were able to understand what I meant and that I have helped you. Do you have the stepping and date code by any chance or did you write down the codes on your chip, we may get a better idea if you wrote it down.

stock cooling :( .. I havn't started to mod my case yet ... just got this thing built a few weeks back.

no didn't write down the stepping, was too anxious to get it up and running ... when I switch out my HSF ill make sure to get it. I know for a fact it is a locked chip. If I change my Multiplier system wont even post, have to reset the CMOS.

I don't know what you mean to make sure my memory is at 1:1. how or where do I check that.

Thanks for the help

I have heard that with nForce2 boards that you can change the ratio of memory:FSB. I am thinking this option would be somewhere close to where you change your settings of the FSB for your cpu. But after thinking about it I think nForce2's use percentages rather than a ratio like I was saying before. So just make sure you see 100% for one of your options. I am not sure what it would say because KT333 boards don't come with this option. Also you should use the search button http://www.ocforums.com/search.php?s=

Under the Soft Menu III menu in the bios, make sure you have set the CPU FSB/DRAM ratio to 6/6. This will run the memory in sync.

Back