• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 Ram slots gives Dual Channel ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dragonprince

I tried over in the mother boards section but no answers...maybe some here will know.

On the nForce2 dual channel boards if I use all 3 memory slots will it still function in dual channel ? I do not want to give up the dual channel functionality, but Id like to add another stick of 256 to get to 768 since some games are filling the 512 I have installed.

3=dual channel, but each channel has to be equal to the other. in your case youd need to add a 512mb stick of ram. the 2x256 on one channel, and the 512 on the other.

That would be somewhat silly, however, as 2x 512's not only would be easier on the chipset, allowing for greater overclocks, but 2x 512 sticks would probable be cheaper than 2x 256 + 1x 512.

2x512 is only cheaper than 2x256 + 1x512 when you dont already own the 2x256s. any three sticks will work in dual channel but it is best to have only two sticks and failing that, equal amounts of ram in each channell

so a 3rd 256m stick is definetly a no no? It has to be a 512 stick in the 3rd slot ? I just need to be sure because Id hate to get a 512 stick and have dual channel be disabled....

Dragonprince said:
so a 3rd 256m stick is definetly a no no? It has to be a 512 stick in the 3rd slot ?
Correct. A third 256MB stick would eliminate the possibility of equal amounts of RAM in either channel.

just need to be sure because Id hate to get a 512 stick and have dual channel be disabled....
Don't worry, it will work. Make sure to get the same brand and timings.

I posted in your other thread .

You could use a 256 stick but that would leave an excess 256MB of ram not in DC which would be wasted. I suggest a 512MB stick as well.

Back