• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd bashing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jibby

i saw a lot of posts lately about how amd sucks because they locked their procs when in reality, if they didn't try something they would have died and we would be able to buy amd at all. why are people so mad?

I don't know...especially since Intel has been locking their procs forever. Bartons are still good overclocking chips, even with a locked multi.

IMO, it probably goes back in some ways to human nature...if the chips had been locked, and AMD suddenly unlocked them, everyone would praise AMD as being wonderful and pour out their gratitude like...like...a watercooling hose that...breaks...crap, nevermind. You get the idea. :D

But since AMD had them unlocked, that was accepted as the norm. Now that they're locked, everyone's all ****ed, because they feel that AMD has taken something away from them.

people that moan about amd locking their chips are just too tight to be a chip closer to the speed they want...they have gotta make a profit as a company after all...without them we'd all be stuck with bl***y pentiums and at the mercy of the outrageous prices they charge. People will get over it. Or work out a way to get around it......

Top Hat Theater said:
My personal gripe with it is the fact that AMD said they'd never produce a chip that the enthusiast crowd couldn't unlock.

~THT

I have seen this comment before but never any link or source has been quoted. Does anyone know of a link or can they cite a source?

I have also heard some rumors about new bartons (after week 49 I think) being unlocked again.

The people who bash AMD for locking the new Bartons have no logical argument. Intel has been locking their chips for ages. Plus, most people who do oc their Bartons do so with FSB ocing. It is yet another reason to get good ram :)

Top Hat Theater said:
My personal gripe with it is the fact that AMD said they'd never produce a chip that the enthusiast crowd couldn't unlock.

~THT

Who says they HAVE produced a chip that the enthusiast crowd cannot unlock? Sure, it may be a little tougher then the pencil trick or the wire mod, but I don't think it's impossible. I still think the answer lies in the carrier, not the chip itself. The unlocking mod is there, we as "enthusiasts", just have to find it.

The only difference between this locking and the previous lockings is that AMD hid this one a little better to give them some breathing room. In my heart, I believe that the unlocking mod will be discovered. And a year from now, it will be as common as buying a window defogger kit.

I wish it was that simple Monty, but I already dissected a locked 2500 carrier, layer by layer and unfortunately its not the culprit. They did something to the microcode in the core or the multiplier decode circuitry inputs in the core. The experiments that were conducted by a group of us are chronicled in
This thread.

Hoot

i'm sure this is an argument that will go on and on...

amd has been quoted as knowing the enthusiast community was overclocking, the price of which was voiding a warranty. that use was part of the perceived value and pricing of the product.

the fact that unlocked processors are rising in value is to be expected. i'm curious whether the price of locked bartons will drop as well. if the o/c community is a sizable proprotion of the market, they should.

amd taking away part of the value without notice was a deception to those who bought chips expecting unlocked, since amd knew it was common knowledge. complaints there are, IMHO, justified.

since everybody who's interested in o/c now knows about the locks, whats there to complain about? either buy amd or not. businesses respond to customers buying (or not), and don't care about whining unless it affects sales.

personally, i'm glad amd is acting like a business that intends to stay around. i suspect they'll always have some goodies for us o/c'ers.

phaed

I personally don't mind the locking too much, as I've recently converted to AMD from Intel so I'm used to locked CPUs (all Intel processors after the P166 have been locked). I'm also very used to FSB overclocking and actually prefer it to mult o/c.

Plus, my very first Barton is unlocked of course, so that gives me something nice to play with. :D

Back