• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

arctic ceramique owns

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

solo

dude, i was running AS3 with an intel stock cooler at 3.2 ghz on my 2.4

now i switched to AS ceramique, and i dropped 3 degrees alreayd, and still going :)

45.5 C idling right now, yes its kinda high, and im on stock voltage too :*(

Don't forget room temperature and that load temps are what really matter - plus any difference the paste makes should be more noticeable under load.

yep, imog is right
i didn't experiance any lower (idle) temps when i switched from AS3 to ceramique, but my load temps were a lot lower instead of a 6c increase there was a 3c/4c increase instead. plus i like it because i don't have to worry about it. I had to occationaly change AS3 every 3 months because temps would go up. all the oils would seperate from the thermal filler and that made it less conductive i guess. i haven't seen that at all with ceramique though
still wanna try AS5 though

Who told you that Mame, or is that buried somewhere in the AS documentation?

AFAIK, there really is no hard rule on this... It just depends if you start to notice temperature degradation. When or if that occurs noticeably will depend on a lot of factors.

MameXP said:
how long can the arctic ceramique be used for? I'm using AS3 and i should reapply it every 6 months.

It would take YEARS, if even that long for a quality thermal paste to lose it's performance. Actually, it should perform better after six months..

IMOG said:
Who told you that Mame, or is that buried somewhere in the AS documentation?

AFAIK, there really is no hard rule on this... It just depends if you start to notice temperature degradation. When or if that occurs noticeably will depend on a lot of factors.

No, noone told me. But as i remember from an article online, Artic silver3 should be reapplied after 9 months of use. And yeah the article was rite; I saw the temp gone up after 5 months (1-2c). Well it may be the ambient but i compared using the dalta (current CPU temp - ambient).

I also know that artic silver is no good for long term use (you can email artic silver about it). BUt it has been a long time i forgot the details.

Artic ceramique, on the other hands, is like a highly condense "white goop" , right? I'm not sure what its made of. But its better than artic silver in long term use.

I may be wrong, but please shout out if i am :)
MameXP

hmmm
my load temp dropped from like 72 degrees C after few hours of priming, to around 63 :)

i know those are high
but im not worried, cause phase change is commingggg

i <3 ceramique

i also have a tube of as5 sitting here, maybe ill try it out later

MameXP said:

I also know that artic silver is no good for long term use (you can email artic silver about it). BUt it has been a long time i forgot the details.

Artic ceramique, on the other hands, is like a highly condense "white goop" , right? I'm not sure what its made of. But its better than artic silver in long term use.

I may be wrong, but please shout out if i am :)
MameXP

Arctic Silver and ceramique are both good for long term use.
If not, The Military/Nasa etc etc wouldn't be using Arctic Silver products. I have also learned that the Space Shuttle will be using Arctic Silver products as well. What does that tell you? You think NASA after their problems of the past would use an Untested product in space?

NASA as you know puts every nut, bolt and paste through extensive long term testing, and if it isn't designed for long term use, they don't use it.

Mame, I don't know where your getting your facts from but they seem to be misconstrued facts. :rolleyes:

solo said:
+-

i also have a tube of as5 sitting here, maybe ill try it out later

Just remember AS-5 takes up to 200 hours to break in, several thermal cycles help and gently giggling the heatsink helps speed up the process as well. With AS-5 your best results and temps will usually always be after the 200 hour break in period. If your using a waterblock I highly recommend you gently giggle the block several times over a period of a few days to help the paste settle.

If you like Artic Silver Ceramanique...Give Artic Silver 5 a whirl...Follow SSS's break in period and you will really like the Artic Silver 5 versus the Ceramanique...Stuff works...Just follow their very detailed instructions and you will be in like Flint...:D

NASA as you know puts every nut, bolt and paste through extensive long term testing, and if it isn't designed for long term use, they don't use it.

I hate to be pedantic, but this is not true.
Long term use is not a factor at all. The ability to survive a given/known number of duty cycles is what NASA, as well as other aerospace concerns, is looking for. A part doesn't have to last for multiple flights, but it DOES have to be proven to work reliably for whatever it's duty cycle is. This may be one flight ( as is the case with the heat tiles) or multiple flights.
See the difference?

Ah, i really read an online article some where but it has been long time ago. Thankx for clearing that out Sam :)

Ok, i'm pretty sure dust was the factor for my temp to rise because i have no filter at all :p

Anyway, i will gotta try those ne thermal compounds. AS3 is kind of old now :/
MameXP,

i think my temps have settled around 42 degrees idle, we will see how long, because i prime it every few hours to break it in

maybe i will just give as5 a whirl, anyone know the temp difference that i might expect?

clocker2 said:

I hate to be pedantic, but this is not true.
Long term use is not a factor at all. The ability to survive a given/known number of duty cycles is what NASA, as well as other aerospace concerns, is looking for. A part doesn't have to last for multiple flights, but it DOES have to be proven to work reliably for whatever it's duty cycle is. This may be one flight ( as is the case with the heat tiles) or multiple flights.
See the difference?

Thats true and not true, Being a retired aviation engineer I know exactly what your saying.....but, keep in mind Nasa buys many computer parts on Ebay Heres a linky Some of the parts and 'pastes' have a long duty cycle and the parts must be proven. (I shouldnt have said all parts must have a long duty life, but many must have this attribute, but all must be proven through Nasa in house testing)

Back