• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU reached 85C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shunx

My XP1800+ hit 85C when I accidentally ran it without a fan. The Asus motherboard took over and shut it down.

I don't know a way to really check, but I wonder if it has suffered any permanent injuries?

The best way to check would be put a fan on the HS (duh!) and turn it on, if it boots and runs stable at the same speeds as before then it probably hasn't sustained any perminent damage.

probably not...how long did you run it like that for?? i think the chip is safe against damage up to about 90degs...although anywhere near that temperature aint gonna be good for it. as you can see, my rig aint exactly cool though. i wouldnt worry about it

I think it stayed above 80C for a couple minutes at least. The computer seems ok now, at least I can type like this.

Back