• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athalon XP or Duron

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

firenurse4

Registered
I will be building a new system for my wife in the next couple of months. I was thinking of building hers on a Duron chip. She does mostly internet browsing (Way too much QVC for her :p ) and some handouts for her childbirth classes. For this she uses M$oft Works. She does no gaming so I thought the Duron might be a good chip for her and fun for me to OC a tad as well.

But since the price difference for a Duron vs XP 1800 is all that much, I was wondering if she would be better off with the XP.

The computer is in the family room so we need a quiet system and that was really had me thinking Duron since it uses less power and wouldn't need as agressive cooling as the XP would.

Thanks for any input!

Cooling is not a problem. Get an XP... unless you can get a super cheap deal on a Duron.

Never know when daddy may want to use the system to play a quick game or two!;)

Cooling shouldn't be an issue since the stock HSF for the 1800+ is sufficient. I think a Tbred-B 1800+ would be better than a Duron. But if you get one of the lucky Duron chips where you are able to re-enable the rest of the cache, that would be a good deal too.

Back