• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

]-------- 27C on Air p4 2.4 @ 2.91 (0 load) --------[

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Guvernment

hehehe

well - i tmay be reading the temps wrong - but i touch the heatsink on my thermale take spark 7 running @ 6800RPM and it is not even WARM!

i just formated my system and still have the side case off - and the temp with out load is @ 26-28C - on air.

the ambient board temp is 29/30C

just a little excited - will get SETi in and start tweaking and see what it jumps to under MAX load

Any guesses?

Specs

Asus P4P800
1g Pc3200 (512 x 2)
P4 2.4a @ 2.91 so far (121FSb)
Windows Server 2003 Standard
ATI 9700PRO 128mb - will be overclocking shortly.

:D

I would guess that with the sidepanel installed, the chip clocked up a bit and running a burnin proggy that temps will stabilize at 36-38C.

What do I win?

:) hehe not sure what u win - but will put side panel on soon - it has a duct as well that goes right to the CPU :)

nice - CPU fan is upto 7k - fastest they say it goes is like 6400!

cpu.JPG

probe01.JPG

anvil82 said:
How the heck is the ambient higher than the cpu temp?

i wish i knew..lol

that was with the side case off - well the pics above are with the side panel on - it may be possible because of the air duct blowing in air right on my CPU ??

in my case i have 4 80mm - 2 in front and 2 in back - the 2 in frton really do not have any where to suck air in except these little holes in the front of the case - also my radeon 9700 and 1g of ram could be raising temps?

More and more I begin to doubt the utility of these software temp sensing programs.
Your CPU is cooler than the motherboard?
In another forum, I am seeing pics of hMonitor readings that show the HDD as 10-15 degC LOWER than case ambient.
These readings are nonsensical.

^^^^ it is true until you get a thermal probe - but i tend to think these temps are very close as i can touch the CPU heat sink and as said - it is not even warm - it feel cool - so i am to think that the temp is below 40C - and i have just run SETI for about 20 mins thus far and it hit 35C max so far.

mobo temp did go up to 31C and stayed there.

Just rebooted and the bios said temp was 29 mobo / 30 cpu in bios - but again - same sensor probe reads.

clocker2 said:
I would guess that with the sidepanel installed, the chip clocked up a bit and running a burnin proggy that temps will stabilize at 36-38C.

What do I win?

So I was pretty darn close after all, eh?
That's gotta be worth something...

Mr.Guvernment said:
^^^^ it is true until you get a thermal probe - but i tend to think these temps are very close as i can touch the CPU heat sink and as said - it is not even warm - it feel cool - so i am to think that the temp is below 40C - and i have just run SETI for about 20 mins thus far and it hit 35C max so far.

mobo temp did go up to 31C and stayed there.

Just rebooted and the bios said temp was 29 mobo / 30 cpu in bios - but again - same sensor probe reads.

Be wary of software temp reporting. If I leave MBM or Asus Probe at stock settings, they report within 2°C of each other at full load (folding). Even though my heatsink is cool to the touch, I know that the probe is reading wrong. I know Asus boards have a history of being around 10°C off, I adjusted my temps to read the CPU 10°C higher than what was reported. If you start pushing your system really hard, and temps don't change too much, and it starts acting flaky. I'd have second thoughts about the accuracy of your sensors.

^^^^

i know of the off reads - sad in this world of high tech.

this is why when i first get the system tested i often touch the cpu block to see how hot it is actually getting - and even after running seti for almost 2 horus now - the temp is @ 37C - mobo @ 31 and the core feel kind fo warm..

well after running set all night - temps are @ 35/36C for CPU and 31/32C for mobo.

heatsink feel warm still - so the temp seem to be pretty acurate - i have a p4s533 that runs around 48/50C on full load and the heatsink is warm - almost hot, but no quite.

:D

That would be much as I predicted.
Keep in mind that with it's larger comparative mass, the HSF will take longer to reach stable operating temp.
Thus, upon startup the board may read as hotter for a while until the HS reaches saturation and begins to actually have to shed heat instead of just absorbing it...

hehe

yeah a little fan i took of a thermale take active memory cooling :)

that would be one fast power fan :D

very tru eclocker - i have noticed that and always thought it was weird! why the temp was higher after a reboot or even in the bios sometimes.

It seem right now 121FSB (2.93 from 2.4) is my highest with out much tweaking - i had it @ 123 and ti frooze after about an hour or 2, not sure as i was not around.

figure put some more juice into the cpu - using it on AUTO right now and it is using about 1.56V - also ram is on defualt but i have 2 sticks of 512 - so maybe try with one see how that goes!

then after i get that stable O/C my 9700PRO - can u flash a 9700 to a 9800 PRO?

well

now @ 122 @ 1.6 on voltage - temp here is getting warmer - is 10am here in costa rica so not as cool now :( - also have CPU fan down to 6100 RPM from 6800 - time to turn it up!

CPU temp is now 39C /40C - 2-3C increase with 1MHz FSB and volatage increased a steady .03v

i have hit my limit!

123FSB - 2.95

i put up the vcore coltage to 1.625 @ 124 and DDR voltage to 2.6 and it would not boot :(

put it up to 1.7 just to see and up'd the DDR again - no boot :(

so now @ 1.6 on vcore / 2.55 on DDR (stock) and @ 123FSB with 2.95 running @ 38-40C with CPu fna @ 6900-7030RPM

now time top tweak the ram! i didnt feel like taking out 1 512 stick so leaving both 512 in the system for 1g of pc3200.

well rna seti for a day now and @ 38C -40C cpu and 34C mobo.

overclocked my radeon 9700PRO to core 364.5 / mem 344.3

and higher on either and i get artifacts :(

got my ram timing down as well to 2.5-3-3-7 - trying for better this morning.

Looking good:),tweak,tweak.I believe you can safely go up to 2.8
on the Vdimm at least on Corsair ram and still be in warranty.
What brand of ram are you running? Unable to find in thread!
It takes time to make fine wine.Tweak,tweak,THE FANMAN:cool:

Back