• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP!!! 63 degrees temp w/ Barton 2500 & A7N8X Deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hobogloves

Registered
Hello.. today I set up a system: A7N8X Deluxe, Barton 2500 (stock cooling) and applied OCZ Silver Thermal Compound II. On first bootup, the BIOS said around 65 :O

The heatsink only seemed mildly hot (if that... fairly cool when i touched it) so then I oc'd it to 3200 speeds.... worked fine, windows ran stable.. in bios at 3200 speeds it said over 70 degrees (again didnt feel very hot). Turned the pc off for about 5-10 minutes.. then booted up again... once again it instantly on first bootup said 63 degrees or so..

I updated to the most current BIOS (1007) and still same temps in BIOS... In MBM5 however, I'm getting 41 degrees at 2500 stock settings and 47 degrees at 3200 speeds. Is this a much more accurate reading?? Would you trust it that much over the BIOS?? Anyone else have issues with what the a7n8x bios cpu temp gives ya?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

By the way is hydrogen peroxide a bad liquid to use to wash away the old thermal pad???

I have that same board/BIOS, different chip (2600+) and have used the stock HS modded with a 80mm fan ( currently running a Zalman, though).
My readings using ASUS Probe, SpeedFan and hMonitor are all pretty consistent.
I would recommend getting SpeedFan as it is much more configurable than ASUS Probe and seems to work better regulating fan speeds.

My A7N8X-X BIOS runs about 10-12C higher than MBM 5 says. I'm gonna put my thermal probe on it to check as it is dead on correct.

I have the same chip and board with ceramique and retail cooling (getting better cooling soon), I use the Asus Probe program that came with the mobo. My bios temps are higher than Asus Probe temps (not 70 degrees though, about 5-7 degrees higher than Asus Probe reports), but I think that is because the bios reads from the cpu die itself.

If the numbers are high but your heatsink feels cool then it sounds like it's not mounted very well to allow good heat transfer from the core to the sink. Try remounting it.

I have the same thought as Fast420A

Did u peal or scrape the grey square off the bottom of the heatsink befor the OCZ?

Didn't you guys read the end of the post?
He asked if peroxide was good for removing TIM from the heatsink, which is a definite NO.
The best I've found fro removing thermal interface material is nail polish remover, or just straight acetone.
But dont go nuts with the straight stuff, you can get really messed up really quick on 100% acetone.
Myself, I've only seen a couple A7N8X boards that gave goofy CPU and system temps, and they got RMAed for another that had no problems.
Maybe they finally started to do something about the temp issue?

Back