• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

site with unlocked Bartons raising price !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, they were at 99 shipped for quite a while. Perhaps their source is getting smarter and raising the price. Who knows. At least they are willing to check and verify stepping which in itself causes a greater labor content than the typical reseller is willing to bear. I have emailed countless resellers on Pricewatch and Ebay imploring them to check and list the steppings and most of my emails were either ignored or I was told it was not worth their while. If having the processor unlocked is crucial to your plans, then be prepared to pay more for that feature. A lot of local ma and pa shops have them still, but they can't afford to compete with the resellers letting them go for $83 shipped. I sincerely believe that as the number of remaining unlocked 2500s and 2600s dwindle, prices will go up even more.

Hoot

dang well i guess its a good way to earn extra since people will be to pay for a guaranteed unlocked stepping. But those chips become less appealing wehn it is 80 usd vs 110.

If you have a local Fry's, just get a tray 2500+ there. They're still selling unlocked 2500's (and 2600's as well, I checked). I just got a 0331 Barton 2500 from there for $94.99 + tax. Saved me 15 bucks compared to the $110 price at medianettech.

The retail box 2500 and 2600 are all new stock though, 0344 IIRC. I think AMD prolly replaced all the boxed stock at retailers but left the tray ones alone.

Personally, from an economic standpoint this locking business was a good move for AMD. All of the hoopla and effort to find an unlocked processor has probably caused an increase in processor sales overall. Just in time for the holiday season.

Examples.
1)2500+ is locked? I'll buy a 2800+.
2)I wasn't going to buy a cpu until they went down a little more in price...but if there aren't anymore unlocked ones, I'd better get one now!
3)Well...maybe I'll just look into buying one now, even though I don't need one. (ends up buying one anyway, i.e. ME.)

While we all complain, I think it was a carefully calculated move on AMDs part to boost sales in time for the holidays. How many cheapos did they actually lose with this move? I think most will steam for a few months tops, take a look at intel chips high prices and remember why they went AMD in the first place.

my $0.02

ya the 2800+ is only a little bit cheaper ($135 on newegg)....

most ppl will get a better oc on the 2800 as well (clock wise because the core uses better wafer quality) so it is a tough decision which cpu to get

Back