• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap Agressive Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Agent_Mull

I saw this http://wired.com/wired/archive/11.12/tools.html?pg=7 (2nd item from the bottom) in wired magazine. I've been wanting some more agressive cooling, but i dont want the expense or inherent danger of water cooling. I was wondering if this is a good alternative, if there are cheaper copys of that, and wether you guys recomend it? My 2400+ currently runs overclocked @2179mhz @ 53°c, and Stock @ 47°C. I know this a little high for a cpu. I have a 4700 rpm fan and just applied soem more thermal paste to the *****. Please Help. Cookies to give out!!

Last edited:
And my computer just restarted so i assume that my chip wasnt stable. Also how do i know if my chip is locked or not? I dont see anywhere i can change my multiplier in the bios :(

If you can give us the make and model number of your motherboard we can tell you :p

That Swiftech thingy is a peltier-on-air setup - definitely not recommended if you don't like noise as you will need a very high output fan to keep it cool. It also costs like $90 which is kinda high - Thermalright heatsinks are the best performers out there for air cooling, and are cheap too. $20 for an SK7.

I think that you should buy the thermaltake thermo electric cooling kit. It comes with all the pieces to work, including power supply and fan for it.

Your motherboard should have a multiplier adjust option under "advanced chipset features" or something. If you have a locked chip then if you select a different multiplier the PC won't boot or will still boot up with the same multiplier.

Yeah the swify HS are great but require lots of air to kepp em cool.

Also IF the TEC requires its own PSU it because very expensive.

You're worried about the dangers of water cooling, but not the dangers of a peltier? Kinda strange...some crazy stuff can happen with peltiers gone wrong.

What's your current cooling solution? IMO you'd be better off with just normal watercooling or something from Thermalright.

Im not worried about water cooling, but i dont feel like setting one up, and i was just using that thermoelectric cooler as an example.

I've used three Thermalright heatsinks in a row: the SK-6+, the AX-7, and the SLK-900A. With the settings in my sig, I was getting about 53 degrees under load with the SK-6+ and a quiet Zalman 80mm fan; with the AX-7 those temps dropped about 6 degrees; and with the SLK-900A and a (quieter) 92mm fan I get about the same temps as the AX-7. If you can find an AX-7, I would highly recommend it; it'll give you nearly the same performance as the SLK-8/900 series. I saw them recently for about $14, and tack on a $6 fan for some sweet cooling. To sum it up, I would say don't spend a bunch of money on those peltier kits. They're more risky than water-cooling. Just upgrade your air cooling until you're ready to move to water.

my Gigabyte EasyTune4 cpu temp says 47°c. when i run SiSoft Sandra burnin test it says its 27°. Which one is right?

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust Sandra for that kinda thing...I'd go with the Gigabyte temp. You can also check the temp reported in your BIOS to get an estimate of idle temp.

To change the multi on that board hold down "ctrl+F1" on the main page of your bios. This will give you all the options. Then change everything to expert so you can tweak it all.

didnt work. Im going to try unlocking it tonight. assuming mine some how isnt unlocked. Maybe if i update my BIOS it might allow me to change the multiplier. Also would the wire trick work?

Last edited:
i just looked @ my cpu, and it doesnt have any pits between the bridges. but i have no idea which bridges to connect. i tried taking pics but my crappy camera doesnt have that good of macro.

Back