• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is Memtest86 freezing...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goronmon

Registered
Why is Memtest86 freezing???

After running Prime95 on my system and having it fail twice within 2 minutes of starting, I wanted to test the memory. Thing is, I haven't been able to get Memtest86 to finish, I've run it 4 times and every time it just gets stuck at a random (or seemingly random) spot. It did give me errors once, so at least I know there is a problem, I just want to make sure...

Last edited:
hmm what do you mean by stuck? you mean the program froze while testing the memory? that's a really bad sign :eek:

I would say back down your cpu speed first to really low level to rule out the possibility of cpu problem, then tweak your memory/fsb speed with memtest86 to test out your ram.

Well, its kinda wierd...its like the program just stops doing anything, the little hyphen is still blinking, so its not like the screen is actually freezing, but if you leave it it'll just sit there forever (or at least an hour as far I have have waited, haha)...

It happens at various spots too, plus if the test gets far enough I get errors in the same place everytime...

And I know its not the CPU, I ran Prime95 with small FFTs (hardly any RAM testing) for 4 hours, the temp got up to around 49c and it ran just fine...but as soon as I try either of the other two settings, it usually gets an error within 5 minutes...so I am pretty sure its the memory screwing up...

Hey, thanks a lot! It gets through the whole test now :D

Still getting errors on Test #5 though, I guess another set of RAM is going back to newegg :(

Well, it looks like its only one of the two sticks that I got in the 1 Gig kit is messing up...at least I know its not anything else causing problems.

OK Smart Guys. This fixed my problem. I disabled USB Legacy Support in my bios. Now how the heck am I supose to use my keyboard if my keyboard is USB.

Oh how long should it take to run 1 gig of ram through the test. It is the machine in my sig. 2 sticks of PC2700 512mb each. Running in dual channel mode.

Back