• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD overclocking help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slowpoke68

Registered
Hello all, haven't been on the boards in some time. In the past I had good luck with overclocking my pentium system, but now I have an AMD 1.6 ghz processor on a shuttle aktgr mother board. Can I oc the thing just by turning up the fsb or is there more to it than that? Like I said I have not done any overclocking in a couple of years. Any tips or links to good articles covering the basics with an AMD processor would be much apprecitated. Thanks and Happy Holidays.

It's not a simple process due to dependencies. Up to a certain overall speed (mult times FSB) you can simply bump it up slowly until you reach a point of instability. At that point you will need to bump up the core voltage on the CPU. When you do that, another element creeps into play and that is cooling. More speed and/or core voltage equals more heat. Yet another factor will be how well your particular motherboard deals with increased speed. Some are natural overclockers and some are not. I haven't used a Shuttle board since back when the K6 was king, so I'm not very informed on the current units. A post in the AMD motherboard Shuttle forum might shed some light on your particular board. Yet another factor, when you bump up the core voltage is how well your power supply will deal with the increased power demand, not to mention, in the case of raising the FSB, how much room for increase do you have in your memory tolerances.

There are some great threads on how to approach the task. Read some and when you start making your move, keep notes in a notebook so you don't wind up repeating what you've already tried.

Keep us abreast of your triumphs and failures and ask questions in the appropriate forums as they arise.

As you ask for and receive opinions, keep in mind that everyones rig is a little different than yours and other peoples. Be wary of those answers that come across as an absolute in a field where few absolutes really exist, as well as the "reckless abandon" types of answers like "Just keep turning up the voltage and eventually it'll work!" or one of my personal favorites, " It's really stable but it crashes in such-n-such a program..." :)

Hoot

Thank you, I will try to bump the fsb in single increments, Im just kind of fooling around I guess.

Back