• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which fan controller?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iLLestOne

Which fan controller is the BEST out of the 5.25" models? I cannot use a 3.5" one, because my case has a cover over them and just wouldn't work without some modding.

From what I've read, I haven't been able to find a really good 5.25" one. The Vantec NXP-205 seems like the best 3.5", but their 5.25" model has gotten bad reviews. Something about a humming sound when you turn the fans on low.

I will be using this fan controller for 1 120mm intake (and 80mm or 120mm side intake, in the future) one 1 channel. A 80mm (and either 80mm or 120mm blowhole, in the future) on the 2nd channel. The third channel will be used my my cpu fan. I'd rather have a 4 channel controller, just incase of addons later, but a 3 channel will do.

Also, I've read that not all fans would with fan controllers. So which fans would you guys recommend. Noise isn't a HUGE issue, since I'll have the controller. But I don't always play games, and don't want my computer to sound like a vacum cleaner :p

I'll be using a sp-97 hs, which takes a 80mm fan or 92mm (i think). I've seen people recomend Panaflo fans for use with the sp-97. What do you guys think? And which Panaflo is the best? Money isn't a HUGE issue, seeing how inexpense fans are. I don't mind spending that extra 5-10 bucks, if it's worth it.

To recap, right now I'm looking to get
1 120mm intake
1 80mm exaust
1 80mmor92mm for sp-97 (i believe they can use either)

If ya need any more info, just ask :)

Sorry for the long post, but I'm kinda new to this. I've been reading through these forums for over a week now. I didn't want to ask you guys questions that you've already answered 1000000 times. But I couldn't really find to much of fan controllers, even though I'd think that most of you use them.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS: even though youv'e been here a week.Probably best to start out and buy all quality fans.Panaflo
is the place to start.On your fan controller its hard to say.Sounds
like you're going to need one that will handle your future needs.
The Aerogate II has 4 channels @ 18 watts each.It has a flat profile like you descibe.Most of the guys use the Sunbeam 20watt per channel fan controller.It has knobs and LED,s. Out of these 2 I'd say the Cooler Master Aerogate II would fit your needs better.
THE FANMAN:cool:

SUNBEAM LINK

AEROGATE II LINK

Last edited:
I had the sunbeam and it was great. Like I can't say anything bad about it.

Worked awesome, fit behind the door of my cheiftec. It's awesome.

thanks

Thanks for the replys. You all know much more then me in this subject, so thanks.

That Aerogate II does look pretty sweet. I'm reasarching it more and it seems like most people who've owned it, like it. I'm pretty sure I'll be going with this one.

The sunbeams look cool to, but since I'll be controlling my cpu fan, i'd rather not have it go down to 0v, just incase....

Any recommendation on which fans to use? I don't want they to be TOO loud, but I want good airflow.

I've seen some aluminum fans, and to me, they seem like they'd work the best. Since the aluminum fins will be cold, they will cool down the air they are pulling in. Right?

The aluminum fans make no difference to temps.

while you migh think you could bump the cpu fan to 0V, it's really hard to do that. Especially if you have a door to your case.

7V with a tornado is too loud if you are sleeping in the same room.

Okay, I wasn't sure if they did or not, but I thought they would.

I've read more, and I really like some of the features of the Aerogate. Like the setting that makes the fans go on full when temp goes below 55C, and how it beeps when a fan gets disconnected.

So I'm pretty sure i'll be getting that one.

So now on to fans, options?

Anyone know where i can find a black Aerogate 2? all i can find is silver :(.

Also, on the sunbeam is there a way to turn off the LEDs? It would be on the top of my thermaltake x3 so it would be permantly exposed.

Last edited:
You want to do the fan thing on this thread.No problem.As I was
saying above ,it's a good idea to start at the Panaflo level and work forward.Fans are the cheapest investment you can make for your rig.I'll get you some links to the fans.Are you good at wiring up components? Or will you require adapters to wire the fans?THE FANMAN:cool:

120MM LINK

80mm LINK

92mm HS FAN LINK
ENTER: ** P9760-ND in seach box**

Papst FAN LINK

80mm PAPST LINK

Last edited:
go with Vantec Nexus! I own several of em , and they never failed me! I'm willing to sell u one if you are interested ;)

From what I've read, I haven't been able to find a really good 5.25" one. The Vantec NXP-205 seems like the best 3.5", but their 5.25" model has gotten bad reviews. Something about a humming sound when you turn the fans on low.

I have two 51/4" Vantec's: one is a few months old, and one is about a year and a half old. The older of the two does indeed hum, however, the latest version is totally silent in its operation.

Also, I've read that not all fans would with fan controllers. So which fans would you guys recommend. Noise isn't a HUGE issue, since I'll have the controller. But I don't always play games, and don't want my computer to sound like a vacum cleaner :p

Given the above, I'd consider Panaflo and Mechatronics fans.

I'll be using a sp-97 hs, which takes a 80mm fan or 92mm (i think). I've seen people recomend Panaflo fans for use with the sp-97. What do you guys think? And which Panaflo is the best? Money isn't a HUGE issue, seeing how inexpense fans are. I don't mind spending that extra 5-10 bucks, if it's worth it.

To recap, right now I'm looking to get
1 120mm intake
1 80mm exaust
1 80mmor92mm for sp-97 (i believe they can use either)

As you'll be using a fan controller, I'd recommend these:

120mm intake - http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/fan-18.html This fan is 38mm thick and you may want to check for clearance problems with your case.
80mm exhaust - http://www.svc.com/fba08a12h.html
92mm CPU - http://www.svc.com/pahywabefb1.html

You may also want to consider the 92mm Panaflo U1A, from DigiKey, that Fanman linked in his post as the CPU fan.

Thanks for all the reply's/advice!

It looks like I should be able to fit a 38mm wide fan for my intake, so I'll definatly go with a 120x120x38mm. I'll be ordering some Panaflo's and sunon's within the next couple days. I'll just have to mix and match until I can find a good medium between noise/temp.

I'm going to by the highest cfm/loudest fans first. I'll see if my fan controller can lower the noise and still keep a good amout of cfm. If that doesn't work, I'll buy some of the lower cfm fans you guys recomended.

Thanks for all the help. My soon to be cooler computer thanks you too :) (42C casetemp right now)

This question is roughly on topic,

FANMAN,
im going to shortly build the pc that's in my signature, and I am still unsure how much air flow the sp-94 needs with as5, would the panaflo 92mm be enough? (56cfm)

how about the vantec tornado /w a Fan Master?
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?DEPA=&sumit=Go&description=35-883-001&searchdepa=0
or is 7volts min to much noise for the tornado?

The max3, and other mobo's are known to have temperature issues, so I figured a few extra sensors wouldn't hurt, but I can't find a controller with a digital readout that goes down to 0volts.

I was planning on using the 80mm tornado /w the thermaltake duct...

Any suggestions?

Can I plug my article? :p

If you are moderately competent with electronics you could build your own fan controller with much more current capacity than any of the commercial offerings out there. It's mostly for people who have 10 tornados in their case and occasionally want to hear themselves think though.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1127/

My prototype is 2-channel but it can be easily expanded.

Pertaining to my previous post, I'm thinking about using the 92mm panaflo that is rated at 68cfm, 43dba will that be enough air flow flush to the sp-94 or would an intake such as this one help?

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/duc-01.html

or perhaps the thermaltake duct with a 92 > 80mm adapter?
I believe maximum benefit is achieved when all the air passes through the duct. I can definitely make modifications to either of these ducts to insure this is happening.

The aerogate II does look very nice, but it still only goes down to 7volts, would that be too loud still?
(so many related forums to these questions so confusing!)

SEEK ,The Panaflo you chose above will do fine.Why do you want to turn your HSF down below 7 volts? It needs to run to produce air to cool the HS. THE FANMAN:cool:

Hold off on the duct for now!!

truly i havn't decided 100% on this, but I think I am going to go with a blower!@

they are much quieter, but atlas i need to research more!
i think this is the best damn forum i've seen yet!
thanks man, peace

Back