• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon 64 IHS removal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rokk1972

Just wondering if anyone has done this yet? And if so, got any pics?

I am getting ready to remove my IHS and would like to see the "guts" of the CPU prior to cutting into it.

Any info will help

Thanks

theres a few sites that have pictures of the A64 with the IHS removed but i can't remember what sites they were, theres also this thread, look in there im sure theres a pic of it there.

Well I got the IHS off my A64, and man is it thick and heavy. The heat shield is .0975" thick where the die comes into contact with it. I have the chip installed and getting ready to do an OS install. I am in the BIOS & the temp on the cpu went from 47 deg C to 31 deg C

Stupid heat shiels!!! BTW I reduced my waterblock mounting force to that equal of a XP chip. Without the IHS in place I think that 75Lbs of force is a bit much.

Pics to follow soon (after I get her all prettied up!!

Yesh be carefull.. I've read somewhere that a guy cracked a few chips putting the same pressure on his CPU after the HS removal.

How can you tell how much pressure your putting on? I plan on bulding a Opteron system like monday but i still need to order the DD block for it.. It would freak me out to put the water block on there after talkin that HS off.. i wouldnt beable to afford to buy another chip..

the chaintech mobo for the A64 has a 4 hole pattern also. So i don't use the 2 hole hold downs. Abits A64 mobo also has a 4 hole option also, but be warned, the Chaintech mobo has a uniqe spacing for their 4 hole pattern, I am not sure about Abit's. I had a custom top cut for my RBX to fit the Chaintech pattern. And then I used the mounting kit that you would normally use for any other AMD install. Taking the 4 sprigns down to 60% of there overall height.

Back