• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Few Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sup Now

Registered
What 512mb PC-3200 gives you the best bang for buck?

What is better Dual channel or Single?

Is there are major difference between Double sided and Single sided DDR?

Thanks.

Dual Channel provides marginally better scores, and but with a locked multi, FSB ocing is what you have to do, and sometimes DC can restrict your FSB OC.

Ah ok then I should stick to SC for better OCing then.

Anyone know the best PC-3200 512 SC ram?

Also is there a difference betweem Dual and Single sided ram?

general concensous seems to be corsair pc3500c2, mushkin black, etc.
search the forum, read some reviews, probe around. if you wanted to know what ram does the best timings at DDR450, or which does the highest FSB, or which is the best performer for the $$... that would make it easier.
good luck :)

Actually, on Intel machines, Dual Channel setups can prove to be quite faster than a single channel setup. You won't see many people running single channel on an Intel rig these days.

As far as overclockability and value, our own PC-3200 EL DDR is pretty darn good stuff.

Double sided DDR provides better memory bandwidth than Single sided modules, although single sided modules have a tendency to overclock a bit better, but not always.

Yeah I was looking at the Mushkin 3200 512 Level 2 black, and the OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Platinum Edition.

Anyone know if the Mushkin is double sided?

also the OCZ site doesn't say anything about the EL Plat being Dual Chan or Single and Dbl or Single sided.

Anyone have any of this info?

OCZ PC-3200 Platinum is available in 256MB and 512MB modules, as well as 512MB and 1GB Dual Channel Kits.

256MB modules would be single sided. 512's are definitely double-sided. From in house testing, the 256's don't oc all that much greater than 512's, despite the 256's being single sided.

Has anyone tested the OCZ 3200 Plat vs the Mushkin 3200 Lev 2?

I have another question, I have a Asus A7V600 which supports upto PC3200 DDR400, can you put PC3500 in the slots? Does it under clock the ram or will it just not work?

DC on an intel system can give about 175% performance of SC... (75% better performance)

pc3200 lvl 2 mushkin, is GREAT ram :)

Sup Now said:
Has anyone tested the OCZ 3200 Plat vs the Mushkin 3200 Lev 2?

I have another question, I have a Asus A7V600 which supports upto PC3200 DDR400, can you put PC3500 in the slots? Does it under clock the ram or will it just not work?

It should.

Just so everyone knows Single sided doesn't just mean there are only IC's on one side of the stick. Single sided can mean 8 chips on one side or 4 on each side. Double sided means 8 chips on both sides of the sticks

512MB modules can be single sided just like the 256MB modules. They are normally built with 64x8 density. I do not think OCZ, Geil, Mushkin, or whoever else you want to mention uses that for their sets. I have only seen OEM companies doing this and is just new for the PC3200 speeds. It is quite common for PC2100 and PC2700 nowadays.

Ok, thanks for the info guys.

This questions is a little off topic of this thread, but has anyone had problems with Sandra displaying the wrong memory speed?

It shows my Micron 2100 running at 240mhz(480)

SiSoftware.jpg

Last edited:
I would also like to point out that the RAM itself is not really dual channel. If the RAM is sold as dual channel, that means that there are two sticks, generally they are consecutive sticks from the same batch, it may mean they were tested in dual channel. Single/dual channel refers to the memory controller built into the motherboard chipset. Much like dual proc systems like same speed cpu with the same stepping, dual channel memory systems tend to prefer matching sticks of RAM (as opposed to say just any two sticks of 128/256/512/etc...). The dual channel might work with different sticks, but you're more likely to run into problems.

Back